I purchased 1Password on the app store and shouldn't require a license number but I do?

Options
kleinmarc
kleinmarc
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

I purchased the 1password app understanding the mac app store policy which is expained this way:

do apps from the mac app store require activation keys, serial numbers or registration numbers. no but you may be asked for your apple ID and password the first time you use an app.

but after downloading the app and trying to figure out why I couldn't make it work this is what I found on an agile bits discussion board:
http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/20735/purchased-on-mac-app-store-but-need-1password-3-license-key

if this is the case why is it possible to download the app from the app store? it seems to contradict the app store policy, no? and at the very least why isn't it made easier to get a license key? seems like it should be made easy/obvious. as it is right now I'm three hours into this and I would like to understand I shouldn't want to get a refund now.

Comments

• Jasper
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @kleinmarc,

The current version being sold on the Mac App Store is 1Password 4 for Mac, which requires OS X 10.8 or later. But since we don't want to leave customers that are still using Macs with OS X 10.7 or earlier in the dark, we allow them to download the older 1Password 3 from our website (which will work on their version of OS X). Since that version is from our website, and not the Mac App Store, we will provide users with the necessary version 3 license key.

Like Khad said in the discussion you linked to:

We are happy to provide you with a 1Password 3 license key so you can use 1Password 3 on your pre-Mountain Lion Mac(s). Simply email us a copy of your Mac App Store receipt, and we will create the license key and send it to you. Here is the address to which you should send a copy of your Mac App Store receipt: support@agilebits.com

Please send us a copy of your receipt, and we'll be glad to hook you up with a 1Password 3 license. :)

• kleinmarc
    kleinmarc
    Community Member
    Options

I am confused. I am using 10.9.2. and almost all functions in the menus are greyed out. nothing works. and nothing works the way the welcome page says it should. so it seemed that I needed a license key. if I don't need a key, then what do I need to do to get this thing to work. really frustrated.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @kleinmarc,

Have you set your master password yet?

Instructions for first-time setup of 1Password 4 are here:

Setting Up 1Password 4 for Mac

If you're still having trouble, please let me know what exactly you are seeing that is not working.

• kleinmarc
    kleinmarc
    Community Member
    Options

just so you know, the problem was with the application that I was able to download on the app store. it didn't work with 10.9.2. only once I went to the 1password site and downloaded the app from there did I get things to work. incredibly frustrating. and it seems like something that should be fixed or made note of immediately.

• Jasper
    edited March 2014
    Options

Both the AgileBits website version and Mac App Store version are the same, and they're both compatible with OS X 10.9.2. I'm not sure why you're having trouble with the MAS version, but it's not due to OS X 10.9.2.

But as long as everything is working now, that's great. Let us know if you have any other questions.

This discussion has been closed.