Dropbox Sync 4.5b41 - always "in progress"

Options
hch3
hch3
Community Member

So the latest beta seems a bit quicker as far as functions in the app however I am seeing that after my initial sync with Dropbox when I first started the app, I now can't get it to sync again. It constantly shows "in progress" and will not update if I make changes on my Mac or in the official current App Store version of 1password.

iPhone 5s
iOS 7.0.6

Comments

• hch3
    hch3
    Community Member
    Options

I forgot to attach an image.

• Manaburner
    Manaburner
    Community Member
    Options

Same here on my iPhone 5s with iOS 7.1

• Bushwhack
    Bushwhack
    Community Member
    Options

I had this issue in the previous builds.

Currently due to the bug I have in the mac beta build I cannot use iCloud and when I use Dropbox I get this as well restricting me to just wifi sync. If you open the 1password keychain on your computer you may see either multiple 1password.html files or in the data folder many files that show a (1) behind them.

• Thanks all, I've made a note of these issues in our bug tracker.

• hch3
    hch3
    Community Member
    Options

@Bushwhack‌ I have this exact issue now. It was strange because I was syncing before this beta. I also have 5, 1password.html(1-5) plus one with no number after it.

• Bushwhack
    Bushwhack
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

@hch3‌ i assume this is a known issue because I had a moderator reach out to me about it a few days ago in the Mac beta forum to have me check for this and I confirmed it. However no follow up since.

• hch3
    hch3
    Community Member
    Options

@Bushwhack‌ I would assume that as well. I just don't want my vault to get screwed up. I count on 1password and will be lost without it. Haha

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

I just don't want my vault to get screwed up. I count on 1password and will be lost without it.

@hch3 That is a very good point, and a great opportunity for me to toss out a reminder:

While we really appreciate you folks helping us out with beta testing, the last thing we want is for you to be concerned about the integrity of your 1Password data.

• Please keep both the beta and the App Store (non-beta) version installed on your devices. Beta testing shouldn't get in the way of real work, nor should it be a source of stress or cause for concern. You should be able to break the beta with reckless abandon, delete and reinstall willy-nilly.

• Sync is a work in progress in the beta. From b41's list of known issues:

[BUG] It is currently impossible to create a new vault in Dropbox.
    [BUG] Sync settings do not migrate from existing 1Password 4 setups.
    [BUG] Under certain circumstances when syncing via Wi-Fi, 1Password may unlock to an empty vault. Killing the app and relaunching should open the correct vault.
    [BUG] Under certain circumstances Dropbox syncing may create many, many sync conflicts.
    [BUG] Under certain circumstances Dropbox syncing is very slow.
    [BUG] Under certain circumstances iCloud sync turns into 'Folder Sync' in the syncing preferences and ceases to work.
    [BUG] Under certain circumstances iCloud fails because 1Password cannot read the sync file.

As I type this, I'm watching Dropbox notifications swarm my Mac as thousands of sync conflicts are created (I have nearly 4,000 items). (See? Fun!) :D Now, I'm okay with this, but you might not be. So maybe you want to keep a small, throwaway vault to play with, at least until the beta's more fully baked.

• As important as it is to be cautious, do remember that this is just a sync store. 1Password for Mac's local store remains intact. As soon as this Dropbox sync conflict bug is fixed, the first thing I'm going to do is delete 1Password.agilekeychain from my Dropbox folder and have 1Password for Mac recreate it for me.
  • hch3
    hch3
    Community Member
    Options

@Nik‌ So as long as my info is on my Mac and the official version for iOS I am able to delete the "1password.agilekeychain" and then resync with Dropbox and I will retain all my passwords and info?

• @hch3‌ Yes, this will work. It might be easier if you disable syncing on Mac and select the "Delete" checkbox there.

NOTE: It is very important to let Dropbox finish syncing the deletion before you start syncing your data again.

• hch3
    hch3
    Community Member
    Options

@roustem‌ Thank you very much!

• Bushwhack
    Bushwhack
    Community Member
    Options

Dropbox sync still stuck syncing in fresh container. iOS grabs files initially alright and sync stops, which is where initially I had issues. However additional changes which cause sync result in a non ending "in progress"

Did not confirm existence of sync conflicts yet in keychain.

• When you say additional changes are you referring to additional changes in the iOS app?

• Bushwhack
    Bushwhack
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

Yeah. I was testing syncing on both iCloud and Dropbox by adding login items or folders in the iOS app.
    iCloud sync works fine.

The initial Dropbox sync finished fine and displayed "last sync x minutes ago" Dropbox on the other hand gets stuck on adding an item and displays the "in progress" status after adding logins on iOS and they never sync to the desktop.

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

It's doing the same for me, @Bushwhack‌. For reference, with Dropbox sync enabled (haven't tested other sync methods for this issue):

1. Open 1Password for iOS beta, unlock vault
    2. Make a change to an item or add a new item
    3. Tap Sync Now in sync settings. Changes are synced (they show up on other platforms/apps). Sync is stuck on In progress.
    4. Force quit 1Password
    5. Open 1Password, unlock vault. Sync no longer stuck on In progress.

Everything works as expected when making/syncing changes on Mac. If you make additional changes between steps 3 and 4, it appears they don't sync. However, the additional changes will sync after you quit 1Password and open it again (steps 4-5), but sync will be stuck on In progress again until you repeat steps 4-5 without making additional changes, so the steps become:

1. Open 1Password for iOS beta, unlock vault
    2. Make a change to an item or add a new item
    3. Tap Sync Now in sync settings. Changes are synced (they show up on other platforms/apps). Sync is stuck on In progress.
    4. Make a change to an item or add a new item
    5. Force quit 1Password
    6. Open 1Password, unlock vault. Sync still stuck on In progress. Changes made in step 4 are synced.
    7. Force quit 1Password
    8. Open 1Password, unlock vault. Sync no longer stuck on In progress.

Also, it's not creating conflict files in my keychain anymore. It was before b43.

• Bushwhack
    Bushwhack
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm this as well. Good catch.

• Thanks for the awesome steps, Ethan! I've opened a ticket for this one and we should be able to get it taken care of.

This discussion has been closed.