iOS app not finding data in Dropbox

Megan
Megan
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Workaround for iCloud sync on iOS devices not being able to find the iCloud data..

Comments

• Diede van Lamoen
    Diede van Lamoen
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

I am having the same issues as above with the added twist that dropbox also doesn't work (per screenshot below) and have tried all of the above stated workarounds.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Diede

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Diede,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting things synced up here. The issues above are from several months ago, so I'd love to hear just a bit more detail on exactly what you are seeing right now:

• What are the version numbers of 1Password and your operating system on all computers and devices currently using 1Password? (Please note that, because things can change drastically between versions, including actual version numbers is very useful here.)
    • What are you currently using to keep your devices in sync? I know this thread is discussing iCloud, but you're also mentioning Dropbox, so I'd love to know which sync solutions are enabled on which computers and devices.

The more information we have about your situation, the more quickly we'll be able to find a solution!

• Diede van Lamoen
    Diede van Lamoen
    Community Member

OSX: Version 4.2.2 (422001)
    iOS: 4.3.2

Currently set to use Dropbox: http://grab.by/vcZY

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Diede,

Since we're dealing with Dropbox here, I've moved this conversation into its own thread so that we don't get things confused with the iCloud solutions in the previous thread.

Now, let's get you sorted out here! Thanks so much for providing the screenshots and version numbers, that helps a lot. :)

Could you please confirm for me that you have the Dropbox app installed on your iOS device? It is important to ensure that you are logged in with the same Dropbox account that your 1Password data is stored in (if you have more than one, this could be where the trouble is coming in.)

• Diede van Lamoen
    Diede van Lamoen
    Community Member

(Well in all fairness, iCloud is also not working but seems like the chances of success seem higher with Dropbox)

I have Dropbox installed on the iPhone (v 3.0.3). I am logged in with the same account as the one I have selected for sync under OSX. I do have multiple accounts activated under OSX.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Diede,

Let's try resetting Dropbox sync to see if that gives things a kickstart.

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

• Diede van Lamoen
    Diede van Lamoen
    Community Member

Since 1Password on iOS has never been successfully setup, I cannot get to the settings tab.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Diede,

If you've never set up the iOS app before, let's try reinstalling it and see if it finds your Dropbox data:

• Tap & hold on the 1Password icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Delete the Data on iCloud (if it exists): http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html

(Please note that deleting the 1Password data in Documents and Data is removing only the sync data from the device, and has no effect on the 1Password data stored in iCloud.)

• Restart your iOS device
    • Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

• When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, select "I've Used 1Password Before" and sync via Dropbox.

Please let me know how this works!

• Diede van Lamoen
    Diede van Lamoen
    Community Member

Unfortunately, it didn't. Even after a complete delete and reinstall, the app briefly shows checking icloud check before showing the new/existing user screen.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Diede,

You mention being at the new/existing user screen of the iOS app. Did you select "I've Used 1Password before" and tap the Dropbox option?

If 1Password is still unable to find your data, I've got to admit, I am a bit baffled here. Just to double-check ... Please open the Dropbox app on your iOS device and verify that you do see your 1Password.agilekeychain data there.

• Diede van Lamoen
    Diede van Lamoen
    Community Member

http://grab.by/veje -- 1Password, dropbox settings
    http://grab.by/vekS -- dropbox with 1Password.agilekeychain

On iOS, I select "I've Used 1Password before". Flow and error below:

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Diede,

Thanks so much for providing those screenshots! It does look like you are doing just about everything right here.

There is one thing though that could be getting things tangled up. The iOS app is slightly limited in where it can find the 1Password.agilekeychain. Storing it right at the root of your Dropbox folder could be where the trouble is coming in. Let's try resetting sync again, but this time we'll ensure that we store the new 1Password.agilekeychain file inside a 1Password folder in Dropbox:

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.
    • Do not check the box to remove the data from Dropbox.
    • Confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac.

• Open your Dropbox folder and create a 1Password folder at the root of Dropbox (Personal)

• Move the 1Password.agilekeychain into the 1Password folder
    • Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select the existing 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Go back into the iOS app and set up as a new user. 1Password should find your data in Dropbox now.

Please let me know how this goes!

• Diede van Lamoen
    Diede van Lamoen
    Community Member

Ok, this worked with the added steps to completely remove and reinstall 1Password on iOS. Incidentally, it did not work with "OnePassword" - only with "1Password".

Thanks Megan.

P.s. I am still keen to get iCloud working if you have some spare time :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Diede,

I'm so glad to hear that things are working for you!

Now, I'd be happy to troubleshoot iCloud sync for you as well, but first I want to be sure that you are aware that we don't recommend enabling multiple sync solutions at once. When we had initially released 1Password 4 for iOS, we had hoped that users could make use of both Dropbox and iCloud, but some users noticed merged databases and conflicting entries, so we have been encouraging people to pick the solution that best fits their needs and stick only with that.

I'll admit, I'm slightly hesitant to get rid of Dropbox syncing just after we've gotten it behaving for you, but if iCloud is the sync that you would prefer, here's how to get things switched over:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

This discussion has been closed.