Sync 1Password across iMac, iPad and iPhone

cackleberry
cackleberry
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

Hi, I am running 1Password on my iMac running Mavericks Version 3.8.21 (build 32009). I am running 1Password Pro Version 3.7.2 on my iPad, and I think (from my list of apps in iTunes) 1Password for iPhone Version 3.7.2 on my iPhone. I was syncing everything via Dropbox automatically, but since I upgraded to Mavericks, nothing will sync. I have also tried across Wifi.

Are there compatibility issues? Please ignore my ignorance - I thought about buying all the new apps but that would be about $100! I have already paid for these, so can anyone suggest how to get it working again? I am currently using my iphone as the "master" and only adding new things to that.

Many thanks for any help.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Dropbox changed their API some months ago. That broke Dropbox sync for the version of 1Password you are using on your iOS devices. If you continue to want to use Dropbox, you'll need to upgrade your iOS version at least. For now, I don't think you have to upgrade the OS X version. A member of our family is still using version 3.8 on a Mac with version 4.3 on iOS.

I also believe you could use folder sync with the versions you currently have, but that won't be automatic like Dropbox is.

• Hi @cackleberry,

Like @hawkmoth said, Dropbox has discontinued the API that 1Password 3 for iOS uses, so unfortunately 1Password 3 for iOS is no longer be able to sync with Dropbox.

Our latest version, 1Password 4 for iOS (released in December 2012) has the latest Dropbox API built-in. You can read more about this situation here: http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/08/08/1password-3-dropbox-sync-faq/

But, 1Password 3 for iOS can still sync to 1Password 3 for Mac using wifi:

Setting Up Wi-Fi Sync in 1Password 3 for iOS

We'd like to help you get that working. What kind of issue are you running into when you try to sync via wifi?

• cackleberry
    cackleberry
    Community Member

Hi guys, thanks very much for that info. I thought something big must have happened that I was not across.

I did try to sync via wifi using the exact instructions that you have linked to above. I would be happy enough to stay with what I have if I could just do that - I was only using Dropbox for convenience.

The problem I had was that when I approved new connections on both my ipad and iphone, I successfully got the approval codes coming up, but the iMac version didn't sync. I tried to press sync now, but it was greyed out. I can see both the ipad and iphone pop up in devices at the left. Any ideas for me?

Maybe I could use the folder sync that Hawkmoth above suggests? If you have any links for me I will give it a go. I would prefer not to have to buy new versions, but if that is an easy fix, can I easily get it going again if I just buy version 4 for iphone? I am content to leave the ipad without any - the iphone is more useful.

Many thanks in advance!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

I believe that wi-if sync only works if you have the same versions on both your iOS devices and your Mac. So upgrading only on the iPhone will actually make things worse.

Someone from AgileBits will be able to help you sort this out, I'm sure.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cackleberry,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting things synced up! @hawkmoth is right, our Wi-Fi sync has been completely re-designed between versions 3 and 4, so upgrading to 1Password 4 for iOS will not help Wi-Fi sync work. If you would like to troubleshoot Wi-Fi sync, please take a peek at our Wi-Fi Sync Troubleshooting Guide, which includes solutions to the most common problems.

However, if the iOS device(s) you want to run 1Password on are running iOS 6+, the best solution here is to move to 1Password 4 for iOS. 1Password 4 for iOS will allow you to continue using the convenience of Dropbox sync, even with 1Password 3 for Mac.

You can check out 1Password 4 for iOS in the App Store:

http://j.mp/1PasCS

Once installed, just open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap that you have used 1Password before, then tap Sync with Dropbox.

If you have any questions about this process, we'd be happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.