Can't open 1Password: failed to connect to 1Password mini

mrshllcrg
mrshllcrg
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

WHEN I CLICK ON IT THE A MESSAGE BOX COMES UP SAYING "1PASSWORD FAILED TO CONNECT TO 1PASSWORD MINI"
It then says "please restart 1password. If this does not help, please contact AngileBits support." And of course it does not help.
Any suggestions???

Comments

• Hi @mrshllcrg,

I'm very sorry that you're having trouble with this.

Could you please give this fix a try and let me know how it turns out for you?

• Open your Applications folder
    • Locate the 1Password 4.app in the list
    • Drag it to the trash can.

• Please don't use any uninstaller applications, these may remove more than just the application, such as your data. We do not recommend that. We only want to remove the application, none of the extra items.
    • After dragging it to the trash, please empty your trash, then reboot your computer.

• After the reboot, please download a fresh copy of 1Password 4 from here: https://agilebits.com/downloads
    • Once downloaded, unzip if necessary and drag it to the Applications folder. Then double click to run it.

I hope that helps! :)

• mrshllcrg
    mrshllcrg
    Community Member

Great! thanks for the prompt response.
    It worked.
    Much appreciated.

• You're welcome! Glad that fixed it. :)

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always here to help!

• macmedix
    macmedix
    Community Member

I had the same error, but for a different reason.
    The problem is that due the the Heartbleed OpenSSL event, I tightened up security. In the Keychain app, I changed the certificate preferences to "Require for all certificates". This breaks 1Password. However, the preference of "Require of certificate indicates" seems OK, and does not break 1Password.

• Jasper
    edited April 2014

Thanks for sharing, @macmedix!

• @macmedix‌ Are you using 10.8? I am not able to select this option in 10.9.

• nobait
    nobait
    Community Member

JasperP's solution to the "...failed to connect to 1Password Mini..." problem worked for me too! I had been having that precise problem. Very glad I found this discussion thread-whew! But, in all honesty, it wasn't easy to find the thread-I had tried a number of problem descriptions, etc over the course of today, and finally found this one.

• Taproot
    Taproot
    Community Member

I am having the same problem after migrating to a new hard drive. The posted solution did not work. Now 1 Password just hangs for while when I try to open it until it eventually gives me the following message.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Taproot,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with 1Password right now. Let's take a closer look at your system to see what's happening here. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• Amy123
    Amy123
    Community Member

Hi @Megan I'm having the exact same issue as @Taproot‌. I just downloaded 1Password to a new iMac and am receiving the same message. Can you help?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Amy123,

I'm so sorry to hear you're having trouble with 1Password right now. Did you try @JasperP's solution above?

If so, please follow the instructions immediately above your original post to create a Diagnostic Report and send it in - we'll need some more detailed info to determine just what's going on here. :)

• Amy123
    Amy123
    Community Member

@Megan‌ Thanks so much for your response. I can't even open 1Password on my new computer it just hangs with the same message @Taproot was getting. I generated a report and will be sending it via email along with your instructions. Thanks so much!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Amy123‌

Thanks for sending that Report in! I was unable to find an email in our system from the address you attached to your forum account. If you could send me a private message with the address that you used to send in the Report, I'd be happy to track it down. :)

• touri
    touri
    Community Member

Hi @Megan‌
    I do have the same problem on a clean installed mac. I tried the solution from @JasperP‌ without luck. Please find the Diagnostics Report in your mail.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @touri,

Did you send the Diagnostics Report to the support+forum@ agilebits .com address mentioned in @Megan's post #10 instructions? I'm still looking for it, but certainly not in her email. :)

• macmedix
    macmedix
    Community Member

@roustem Hi, Yes, I am using OSX 10.8.x.
    Sorry for slow reply, I just saw your message about it now.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the followup, @macmedix.

There's some information about configuring forum notifications: here (post #4).

Please let us know if you're currently having any issues with 1Password that we can help you with.

• Had the same problem of OP when 1Password auto-upgraded to 4.4.3 on Mac OS 10.9.5, and the proposed solution (trashing and downloading a fresh one) solved it, thanks.

• You're welcome! Glad to hear that helped, Carlos. :)

This discussion has been closed.