Determing errant 1Password sync location for 2nd family member

waywest
waywest
Community Member

Didn't see this in threads, though it may be there.
Somehow my wife's copy of 1Password is not syncing with mine so that she's not picking up new logins that I've created and vice versa. The fork doesn't seem that old since her 1Password does show a login I created about a month ago.
It's unclear what's the location of her data because when I look at her Preferences> Sync dialog it's not like any of the three choices is clearly highlighted. Of course that's true as well when I look at my version's prefs. But I can see my version's keychain file over in the Dropbox root, so I know that's where it's being stored. But how do I tell where her data's being stored?
Then, of course, the question becomes how do I merge/add the data from her keychain with mine?
Thx

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @waywest,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting things all synced up. When 1Password is syncing, the Preferences > Sync window will display the sync location, so if you are seeing 3 options (Dropbox, iCloud and Folder Sync) instead of a location, it sounds to me like sync got disconnected somehow. Now, before I give you instructions on how to get things synced up again, I just want to confirm a few details:

• You only have the one 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox, correct?
    • Does either you or your wife have the most up-to-date data, or is it spread across both your machines?
    • Do you use 1Password on any other computers or devices?

Once I know a bit more about your 1Password ecosystem, I'll be able to give you directions on how to get your data merged and synced up nicely. :)

• waywest
    waywest
    Community Member

Hi Megan, To answer your questions in order:

1. Search of my Dropbox folder shows only one file named 1Password.agilekeychain, modified today as result of running my copy of 1Password.
    2. Most recent data in my version of 1Password. Looking at my wife's copy, it appears she's only added 3 logins that don't appear in my version. So it seems I can just manually enter that info into my version. (And then reconnect her version to the same 1Password.agilekeychain file that I sync to/from?)
    3. We use 1Password on all our devices: 2 laptops, 2 iPhones and 1 original iPad. (Though my wife's iPhone version is so wonky that it stays stuck on the Settings screen, so that suggests it's messed up as well.)

We use 1Password on all our devices: 2 laptops, 2 iPhones and 1 original iPad. (Though my wife's iPhone version is so wonky that it stays stuck on the Settings screen, so that suggests it's messed up as well.)

An obvious puzzlement is how her laptop copy became unsynced in first place--and how to avoid it happening again once we straighten current situation out.

Hope that info sheds some light.

Thx waywest

• waywest
    waywest
    Community Member

Got it fixed. Mysteriously my version didn't appear to be syncing, just being stored locally though backed up every day. Once I synced, my wife's version of 1Password immediately started showing the data within my version.
    So I'm good.
    While I'm here, I'll look around to see if anyone else's 1Password loads two pages whenever they click Open & Fill

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @waywest,

Thanks for that information about your 1Password ecosystem, as @Megan referred to it. :)

1. Search of my Dropbox folder shows only one file named 1Password.agilekeychain, modified today as result of running my copy of 1Password.

An Agile Keychain (e.g. 1Password.agilekeychain) is actually a folder bundle containing multiple files and its top level modification time isn't a reliable indicator of when changes in it were made.

2. Most recent data in my version of 1Password. Looking at my wife's copy, it appears she's only added 3 logins that don't appear in my version. So it seems I can just manually enter that info into my version. (And then reconnect her version to the same 1Password.agilekeychain file that I sync to/from?)

Reenabling Dropbox syncing with 1Password on your wife's Mac to the same keychain that's currently syncing with 1Password on your Mac should be all that's necessary to get those items from her Mac to yours. No manual entry required.

3. We use 1Password on all our devices: 2 laptops, 2 iPhones and 1 original iPad. (Though my wife's iPhone version is so wonky that it stays stuck on the Settings screen, so that suggests it's messed up as well.)

Other than the syncing issue with your wife's Mac and some trouble with 1Password her iPhone, is everything else working and syncing okay? After getting her Mac syncing again we can focus on fixing 1Password on her iPhone.

An obvious puzzlement is how her laptop copy became unsynced in first place--and how to avoid it happening again once we straighten current situation out.

Which version(s) of 1Password are you and your wife currently running on your Macs? Without checking logs I'm not sure what caused syncing on your wife's to be disabled. We've improved sync error reporting in 1Password 4.2 and display a warning when something's amiss.

Please let us know if reenabling Dropbox syncing with 1Password on your wife's Mac gets it on track again. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.