Purchase Windows 4 License

There is a sale on licenses at the moment. My questions are:

1. is the windows license for version 4?
  2. if not version 4 can I buy a version 3 license (I already have 1) and get free version 4 when it becomes available?

Comments

• Hi @charlie98,

Any purchase (or upgrade) of 1Password for Windows now will entitle you to a FREE upgrade to 1Password 4 for Windows, once it's released! :)

Also, I've moved this discussion from the Lounge to the Windows area.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

• charlie98
    charlie98
    Community Member

Looking in the store I discovered that the upgrade for windows is greyed out, at least in my case, presumably because I already have a windows version 3 license?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014

Do you already have a 1Password for Windows license? If you do, there's no need to purchase another (unless you're upgrading from a single-user to a family license, that is). There's no license requirement to work with 1Password 4 for Windows during the beta development period, either.

(According to our license policy page, by the way, if you purchased that license on 1 Jan 2013 or later, you'll be eligible for a free upgrade to 1Password 4 for Windows, when it's released.)

• charlie98
    charlie98
    Community Member

My purchase date is 12 November 2012 so I do not qualify for a free upgrade. Looks like that as an early adopter I'll be paying the price, literally.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Well, 1Password for Windows had been out for quite a while by November of 2012, so I'm not sure "early adopter" quite applies; but I hope you'll agree that more than 15 months (back to 1/1/13) is a very generous "free upgrade" window. Also, upgrades cost less than new licenses, so (even if nothing changes between now and the release date) you won't be paying the full price.

I hope that helps, @charlier98. Thank you so much for using 1Password!

• charlie98
    charlie98
    Community Member

Licensing for 1PW is a complicated issue based on the number of posts asking questions. Like a lot of people I attempt to find the best possible for a license so when it goes on sale I'm interested. As such, according to your website, I should be able to upgrade an existing 1PW 3 which I own to a windows license.

I put my 1PW3 license in the upgrade page and my list of possible upgrades (attached, note the price, $19.99) shows upgrade to a windows license.

I select the upgrade, I'm willing to pay for a 2nd windows license at ~ $20 now assuming that this is likely the best future deal for the windows 4 license, if not who cares.

After selecting the upgrade I am greeted with verbiage which basically says I can't upgrade (response attached) at the quoted upgrade price.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@charlie98, I'm sorry you're having a problem with the online store! :(

Please write to us at support@agilebits.com, and include a link to this forum thread; someone there will get it straightened out, right away.

We apologize for the inconvenience!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@charlie98 Do you own a Mac license or a Windows license? If you already own a Windows license, then there is currently nothing to upgrade. We haven't released a new Windows version yet. If you already own a Mac license, then please enter it here. Thanks!

• charlie98
    charlie98
    Community Member

@svondutch‌ I am attempting to acquire another windows license, I already have one but, since my license was acquired prior to 2013-01-01, I am not eligible for the free upgrade when windows 4 becomes available. Being cheap but still willing to spend money now that gets me an upgrade later I am doggedly pursuing another license.

An upgrade of a Mac license, I used my 1PW3 license, to get another copy for windows via the upgrade route but this attempt met several problems as illustrated in my previous post.

Making a long story short I am following @DBrown's advice and will contact support via email.

• charlie98
    charlie98
    Community Member

please mark this issue as resolved

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Will do. Thanks, @charlie98‌.

This discussion has been closed.