Firefox extension and 1Password client app not in sync.

Options
DeepCrush
DeepCrush
Community Member
edited April 2013 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

When I add a new login id and password via the firefox extention the new data is not listed in the 1Password app... it never updates it to match the list that the client application has.

Any ideas on how this can be fixed? I remember reading something a while back that said to update a setting in firefox somewhere and it worked, but I have a new computer now and can't remember what it was...

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DeepCrush
    DeepCrush
    Community Member
    Options

Never-mind, found the problem.

• bswins
    Options

Hello DeepCrush,

Thanks for the update! Glad you found the problem.

If you wouldn't mind, for the benefit of others who may come across this thread, would you please share your resolution?

Thanks!

• cperdomo
    cperdomo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, I'm having this exact same problem. Can you describe how you fixed it? What I've tried so far is uninstalling and reinstalling the Firefox extension but it still loads different information. Specifically what I'm seeing is that for some sites it has a different password stored and it also shows password that I have already deleted from the 1Password app.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Let's try completely removing and reinstalling the Firefox extension. Other browsers handle the removal of the SQLite file automatically when you remove the extension, but you will need to do this manually for Firefox:

1. In Firefox, select Tools > Add-ons from the menu bar.
    2. Click the Remove button to remove the 1Password extension.
    3. Quit Firefox.
    4. In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder from the menu bar.
    5. Copy and paste the following path and press Return:

~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles

6. Move the OnePassword.sqlite file you see there to the desktop.

Then reinstall the 1Password extension in Firefox:

https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/index.html

Once everything is working well, you can safely move the OnePassword.sqlite file on the desktop to the trash.

• captenaj
    captenaj
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. I reinstalled the extension and the problem persists. Now what? Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @captenaj,

I'm sorry to hear that reinstalling the extension didn't solve your problem, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

MAC, 1Password 3: Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

MAC, 1Password 4: Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• captenaj
    captenaj
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your reply. I didn't not see your message because I was not notified that anyone had responded. Is there a way to set notifications in this forum?

The issue seems to have resolved itself. Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @captenaj,

I'm sorry that you missed the message! For future reference, you can change your notifications here: http://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/edit

I am glad to hear though that the issue resolved itself. If you run into any snags in the future, you know where to find us :)

• mazal
    mazal
    Community Member
    Options

yay.

been grappling w/this for months.. i just sent a long diagnostic email to agile bits, then found this. deleting OnePassword.sqlite from firefox profiles did the trick.

ty, khad

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mazal,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been grappling with this for so long, but I'm thrilled that this worked for you!

Please let us know if you run into any other snags, we'd be happy to help you sort things out - before it becomes a months-long ordeal :)

• seimen_x
    seimen_x
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hello everybody, just came back from a lengthy stay at the hospital, and finally able to use my computer again. Now that i have been away for some months i noticed that my 1Password firefox extension (3.9.20) is not syncing with the 4.1.2 1 Password desktop version. I have approx. >100 passwords, that are all in the extension, but not in the main 4.1.2 agilekeychain file. I need to update the Firefox extension, but before i can do that i need to transfer the passwords, that are saved in the firefox extension to the agilekeychain file. When i open my firefox extension i cannot find an option to manually sync or similar. Has anybody had the same issue or knows how to resolve this? I really appreciate any help and suggestions.
    Thanks Simon

• seimen_x
    seimen_x
    Community Member
    Options

hello, i have a similar issue. Firefox told me to update the extension of 1 password, as i currently am using Version 3.9.20 in the extension. but the Client app is already 4.1.2 (i know i need to update both :-). Anyways...i have >100 passwords in my firefox extension, that do not appear in the client app. however, if i do logins with safari and chrome, these appear in the client app, but none of the logins i created in firefox. i wonder where these firefox extenion logins are stored so i can get them to the main client app. I am afraid to loose all the passwords if i just delete the extension, or am i mystaken? are the logins also saved in the SQLlite file? Thanks for any solution in advance. i really appreciate any help. Cheers, Simon

• Jasper
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @seimen_x,

The version 3 browser extension is not able to sync with the version 4 main app, so you will need to install 1Password 3. Then, the data will then sync between the version 3 extension and the version 3 app. You can point 1Password 3 to the same .agilekeychain file being used by 1Password 4, so the changes will be synced there as well.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• seimen_x
    seimen_x
    Community Member
    Options

Hey JasperP, i did what you said, and the most terrible thing happened. All my firefox passwords are gone! Nothing left anymore. Any way to recover them?!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @seimen_x‌,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble here! Unfortunately, because the extension has been completely re-written between version 3 and version 4, the extension for 1Password 3 is unable to communicate with the main app in 1Password 4. If you do have Logins stored in the version 3 extension that are not in the main app, you will need to copy the details out of the extension manually and save them into 1Password 4. I know this isn't exactly the answer that you wanted to hear, but there is no way to export these details automatically.

I do apologize for the inconvenience - one of the main reasons that we re-wrote the version 4 extension was to ensure that the main app and the extension were always using the same database, to avoid situations like this where the extension could be hoarding data and not passing it along to the main app's database.

Once you have copied your Login details from the version 3 extension, please make sure that you uninstall 1Password 3 browser extensions and install the 1Password 4 browser extension. :)

• seimen_x
    seimen_x
    Community Member
    Options

thanks, but unfortunately it is too late already. i cannot find my firefox passwords anymore. is there any way to recover them?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @seimen_x‌,

I'm so sorry to about this. Unfortunately, the problem with the version 3 extensions was that there was the potential for data to be stored only within the extension. If you have deleted the extension, then any password data that it had stored would be gone as well. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but the good news is that this problem will not reoccur once you are up to date 1Password 4 in all your browser extensions. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

This discussion has been closed.