.ws.agile.1password.settings

Well, I did try and search this topic but there were so many results that I couldn't find anything relevant. ;-/

Anyway...I happened to be looking at my Dropbox today via its web interface and noticed this file in my dropbox root:

It hadn't been updated for several months and I have no idea what it's doing there or if it's safe to delete it. I have a 1P folder off the root as well if that makes any difference. Oh...and I suppose it is flagged as hidden because I do not see it from Finder on my Macs.

Bottom line, can someone please...

1) Explain what this file is
2) Why it is located where it is and should it be
3) Should I delete it or leave it alone...

much thanks...
rwr

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    rwross wrote:

Well, I did try and search this topic but there were so many results that I couldn't find anything relevant. ;-/

Anyway...I happened to be looking at my Dropbox today via its web interface and noticed this file in my dropbox root:

It hadn't been updated for several months and I have no idea what it's doing there or if it's safe to delete it. I have a 1P folder off the root as well if that makes any difference. Oh...and I suppose it is flagged as hidden because I do not see it from Finder on my Macs.

Bottom line, can someone please...

1) Explain what this file is
    2) Why it is located where it is and should it be
    3) Should I delete it or leave it alone...

much thanks...
    rwr

Its the place holder for 1P in that when you sync with your Dropbox on your mobile device this file tells the mobile app where to find the keychain file in your Dropbox (Consider it just a bookmark). Just as in your case its located off the root. (and mine as well)

Yes it should be there in the root of the Dropbox folder.

No need to bother with it so just leave it alone it will be recreated by 1P automatically. It has no effect on your Dropbox should you not use the Dropbox sync on the 1P mobile app, and it takes up a minuscule amount of space.

Hope that makes sense it's almost midnight here. Let us know if I missed something or if you have anymore questions.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    That was a perfect response. You are more awake than you are willing to let on I think, Tommy. :D

It is hidden by default in UNIX-based operating systems (like Mac OS X), but Dropbox lists directories like Windows (where you will also see the file). It is just a pointer. That is all. I would leave it unless you are trying to get everything related to 1Password Dropbox syncing cleared away.
  • The Doctor
    The Doctor
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for the response guys...couple of follow-up questions...mostly out of curiosity.

While I do use 1P-Touch-Pro on iPhone and iPad, I do not believe I've ever set either up to sync directly with Dropbox. If that's true, how/when did this file get created? Is it something that 1P 3.x just creates if the agile keychain is stored on dropbox assuming it doesn't see it there?

Second question has more to do with 1P-Touch-Pro, but is connected to the sync issue you described here. As I mentioned, I exclusively use the wifi sync features of all my 1P mobile instances. This is mainly because I often find myself without decent signal. Does 1P-Touch try to sync with the cloud dropbox everytime it launches or is it only upon user request? If the latter, I might give it a whirl.

Thanks for the continued help...certainly come along way since I began asking these questions with 1P v2.5

take care,
    rwr
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    The desktop app creates the file and yes you can set it up to do on demand sync. Basically just have 1p touch not save your password for DB. Then each time you run it. The sync will ask for your password. I have synced my DB over 3G wifi and edge. Once the initial sync is done you may be able to as well. So there may be no need to limit it's syncing. You'll just have to try it out and see if it suits your needs. Give it a whirl :)
  • Is there anyway to move .ws.agile.1password.settings into the 1PasswordSync folder for example? My root Dropbox folder is just folders and here I have this .settings file just sitting there.

Thanks
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    No not at the moment AFAIK it has to remain in the root.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    YVSRN wrote:

Is there anyway to move .ws.agile.1password.settings into the 1PasswordSync folder for example? My root Dropbox folder is just folders and here I have this .settings file just sitting there.

Thanks

Because it is a pointer, it must be in the root, otherwise, we wouldn't need to have a pointer if the iOS apps were able to search your entire directory structure. Some have their keychain in the root, some in a "1Password" folder, still others in "1PasswordSync." :-)

The pointer solves the problem. We are considering some other solutions down the road, but no change in the immediate future.
  • Great responses. Answered my questions perfectly as well.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks, randonw, and welcome to the forums! :-)
This discussion has been closed.