Multiple Vault Sync with Dropbox [available in 4.5]

Options
lucasmateu
lucasmateu
Community Member
edited May 2014 in iOS

Hi guys,
I decided to take a big change and recently bought 1password for Mac and iOS and of course I took advantage of the new "multiple vault feature", however once I installed the app on my iPhone and found out that the sync was for an individual vault it was kind of a big problem.
I saw a few post about it but can't manage to do it.
Is there anyway to sync multiple vaults so that you can choose the one you want in the same way as on the mac interface?
Thanks!
Lucas Mateu

Comments

• Jasper
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hey @lucasmateu,

1Password for iOS does not yet support multiple vaults. But AgileBits has said that it's coming in a future update.

From known issues:

[Important]: If you have multiple vaults and you're syncing with Dropbox to your mobile devices, do not enable the sync for other vaults other than the primary one yet. The current iOS app does not support multiple vaults and may in fact sync one of your other vaults into the primary vault you're using in the iOS app. There will be an iOS update to support multiple vaults in a future update.

Currently you can only use multiple vaults with 1Password 4 for Mac. If you're looking for information on sharing vaults from your Mac, take a look at this support article: How to share a non-primary vault

Hope that helps! :)

• Kylereilly
    Kylereilly
    Community Member
    Options

Any update on when this functionality will be added?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Kylereilly,

Unfortunately, I can't provide much of an update here. This feature is at the top of our priority list, and we'll release it just as soon as it is ready, but I don't have any more details than that.

Thanks so much for your patience :)

• MatthewCRoberts
    MatthewCRoberts
    Community Member
    Options

Megan,
    Great product; I'm loving it. While I, too really can't wait for multi-vault sync, if you could simply give me the ability to choose which vault to sync against on Dropbox from my iPhone, that would actually solve the problem for me. I have separate vaults for myself & my wife in Dropbox. On OSX, we both have our own 'primary' vault, and then the others is a secondary vault. Works great. If I could simply choose on our iPhones which Dropbox vault to use, I don't even need explicit multiple vault support. Does that make sense? Surely that would be easy to implement. :-) (says the guy not coding it!)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MatthewCRoberts,

Thanks so much for the kind words! Unfortunately, the ability to choose a vault in Dropbox isn't quite as easy a fix as you (or I) might hope. Our support team can help the iOS see a secondary vault instead of the primary, but this trick won't work if both you and your wife would like to see a different vault from the same Dropbox folder.

I really do apologize for the inconvenience, if you'd like us to help you point the iOS app at one of the secondary vaults, we'd be happy to help! I wish I had a better answer for you here though.

• Eduardo Martinez
    Eduardo Martinez
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, this has been too long in the works. I am changing my review in the app store as a result.

• pincomar
    pincomar
    Community Member
    Options

I have to say that this is damned frustrating. Our daughter is home from college for the weekend. I have created a "vault" for her and have just spent $20 downloading the iOS app to her iPad, only to find that the damned app doesn't support multiple vaults. You owe me $20. Please tell me how I get this refund.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

The only way to get a refund for any software that is purchased from the App Store is to approach Apple and describe the reason you want a refund. Software publishers have no method to issue them.

FWIW, I have been successful in the past in receiving a refund from Apple when the application didn't function as expected, so it is definitely worth a try.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

@pincomar

Question ? Does she or you need access to all vaults on a daily basis, or can she work off just her vault. By your description this sounds like what you are working for.

What I am getting at is ... OK you have multiple vaults setup which you can access all of them from your Mac for example. Share her vault from your Dropbox account to her Dropbox account via a shared folder just for her. Obviously it would be shared to her personal Dropbox account.

When she sets up 1Password on her iOS device, 1Password will offer to allow her to link to the Dropbox account which she is logged into on her iOS device. She would obviously be linked to her own account. 1Password will find the data file and she can use the vault without issue.

Now if she or you need access to the other vaults you can always manage all of them on your Mac or hers. Its a small inconvenience at the moment and they are working on it. Even if she is out and about and she needs a login you can use the share menu on the Mac to share from your account to hers. It will be synced to her Dropbox account and to her device upon it being shared to her vault.

I am not trying to be rude or anything, I am just thinking it is doable in your position. I know because I currently have the same issues on my end. The wife and I share all our vaults on our Macs. But we can only have one linked on the iOS device. In all honesty for us it has been rather minor and I only occasionally need a different login.

I have my kids (4 kids) vaults setup to share from their Dropbox account to mine. I have all of them in my 1Password for Mac for admin purposes and they each have access to their own vaults via their iOS device. So I am talking like a Dad here. :)

If there is anything I can to do to try and help you setup or provide guidance due to our somewhat similar situations please let me know. I think I hold the record for shared vaults. Currently I am up to 13 vaults.

• Eduardo Martinez
    Eduardo Martinez
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

So it's been what? 6 months?, when are we getting multiple vault sync across all devices?

[Moderator note: This comment was split from a different topic: How am I supposed to know what services are being used to Sync?.]

• Jim B.
    Jim B.
    Community Member
    Options

here's a snippet from an email I received on 3/27...seems it's coming soon!

• arminmayrhofer
    arminmayrhofer
    Community Member
    Options

I just set up 1Password for my wife, she uses a Mac. I use Windows.
    She uses 1 iphone, I use 1 iphone and 1 ipad.
    I had dropbox sync working really well for my Windows, iphone A, ipad.
    After I enabled dropbox sync for Mac and iphone B it all went south.
    I took me about 1 hour to get all devices working again, after deleting apps from all mobile devices, stopping and deleting dropbox sync, moving folders around. I basically had to reset the structure up from the beginning.
    As a workaround, I continue to use dropbox sync for Windows, iphone A and ipad.
    While multiple vaults across devices are not supported, I need to keep my wife with Mac and iphone B on Wi-Fi-sync for the time being, which is unfortunate.
    Can you give me a rough date by when this will be rolled out?

This discussion has been closed.