Vault on local network server crashes 1P4 when disconnected

Options
leshields
leshields
Community Member

At my workplace, we use a local network server/disk to sync our vaults instead of Dropbox or iCloud for security reasons. While working on computers connected to the local network, this setup works very well and 1P4 has no issues. Even if the server disk isn't mounted, 1P4 performs as expected – it just asks for the network connection and denying it the credentials prevents syncing. However, as soon as I need to work remotely (or disconnect from the internet), 1P4 freezes and crashes when it is unable to connect to the server. Upon relaunching 1P4, it may or may not show vault content, however sometimes I am able to view it again after several relaunching attempts. Ideas?

Note: I have multiple vaults – at least one synced with Dropbox and at least one synced with the local server.

Environment:
OS X 10.8.5
1Password 4.1.3 (413002)

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @leshields

Unfortunately we do not support this kind of configuration. I do apologize for the inconvenience. We are evaluating other sync options for the future but at the moment we do not support storing vaults on a network server (only Dropbox or iCloud). This is a fairly often requested feature, mostly from our business users, and is something we're seriously looking into.

Sorry!

Ben

• leshields
    leshields
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much Ben, at least I have an answer and something to look forward to!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very much welcome, @leshields, on Ben's behalf. :)

Just to clarify this:

At my workplace, we use a local network server/disk to sync our vaults instead of Dropbox or iCloud for security reasons.

Do you mean 1Password 4 is configured to use folder syncing with data stored on that server? Is 1Password 4 also running with its local database stored there (or on some other network volume), independent of its syncing configuration? Might you be to run 1Password 4 with its database stored on a local drive volume and just configure folder syncing with data on the server?

• leshields
    leshields
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk‌ 1Password 4 is in fact configured to use folder syncing on a network drive, and each local machine that syncs to this netowrk folder has their 1Password 4 db located on their local machine. Is this what you are referring to?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @leshields,

Thanks for that helpful information. Is 1Password 4 still crashing and have you updated to version 4.2.2 since originally reporting that problem? When the 1Password 4 database is stored on a local drive it should be accessible without any issues, regardless of syncing.

Please let us know if you're still having any trouble we can help you resolve.

This discussion has been closed.