4.5RC0 iCloud sync took a while to get the data to show up in the iPhone app

Options
PaulGit
PaulGit
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

Hi, I have installed the latest Mac Beta today and synchronised my vault with iCloud. I then installed 4.5RC0 on my iPhone 5S which is running latex iOS version. It detected the data in iCloud, downloaded all my 541 items very quickly (amazing fast) however on the Sync page under 'Last Sync' it always says 'Never Synced' and pressing 'Sync Now' has no effect.

I tried to change items on my phone but this did not cause data to sync.

Let me know what information I can send you.

Paul

Comments

• PaulGit
    PaulGit
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, it appears patiences is a virtue. I just checked again and the phone did eventually sync, it just took a while to do the first sync??

• Robs
    Robs
    Community Member
    Options

In my experience iCloud can take some time to sync sometimes. What really annoys me is that there's no indicator from iCloud if it already synced something to the cloud or not.
    That's the reason I prefer Dropbox. When you update something on the Mac you have the spinning wheel on the DB menu icon as an indicator whether it has finished uploading or not.

Also you have to remember that the "Sync Now"-Button on iOS with iCloud only looks if there's new data in the "folder" for the 1P data on the iPhone (or iPad), BUT syncing that folder is managed by iOS and iCloud and you (and the apps that use iCloud) have no control over that.
    iCloud is built to just work without the user or the developer worrying about the sync part. They just store their data in a "special folder" on iOS, and iOS and iCloud manage to sync that data between devices.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi guys,

@PaulGit‌, can you tell me how long you waited after turning on iCloud in the Mac app till you turn on the iCloud sync in the iOS app? Also, how long till the data started showing up after the initial sync in the iOS app?

Robs is correct, the iCloud sync is based on what iCloud can download in the background for us, we don't control the sync. Anything you're downloading or uploading via iCloud on the iOS device also affects the sync speed.

• PaulGit
    PaulGit
    Community Member
    Options

@MikeT‌ I cannot be 100% sure of exact timing, but I would but it at around 5 minutes. As I said the initial sync worked great and super fast, it's just the changes on my iPhone seemed to take much longer. I was not aware of how the iCloud sync works, but perhaps the UI needs some sort of explanation or the 'Sync Now' button needs to disappear. I found it very confusing.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @PaulGit,

Thanks for your feedback, we'll see what we can do to clarify this.

This discussion has been closed.