App Store 4.1.2 or website 4.2.2 ?

Options
J_schwinn
J_schwinn
Community Member

I purchased via the AppStore and the latest version is 4.1.2. I then went to the website by following the menu Help/Release Notes, and then downloading the latest 4.2.2?

is this bad..? Should I only use the App version 4.1.2 if that is where the original was purchased?

Based on the release notes, the AppStore is many updates behind.

thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @J_schwinn‌

Thanks for checking in here. Yes, right now the Mac App Store version is a little bit behind the webstore version. You can read about why here: 4.2.2 and the Mac App Store.

If you purchased from the Mac App Store, you can switch to the webstore version, but you do need to ensure that when you close the Mac App Store version that you do not leave 1Password Mini running. Not closing down the Mac App Store version correctly can lead to some conflicts and complications down the road. If you are having any troubles, please let me know and we'll get you sorted out!

Thanks so much for your support of 1Password.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

Megan, that isn't quite the situation is it?.... because now you have decided not release 4.2.2 to MAS and are delaying MAS until 4.3. The sticky post about "4.2.2 and the Mac App Store" needs updating. I am very afraid that when 4.3 is released there will be a few bugs in it that will cause MAS to be delayed to 4.3.1.......etc etc!

• Thoom
    Thoom
    Community Member
    Options

I can't understand how it's possible that there have been 4 updates to the webstore version, going back to January 12th, and the MAS version is still not updated. Can someone explain to me why this is the case? I understand the process of submitting to the MAS takes time, but shouldn't the 4.1.3 update back in January have been submitted? The list of things we're missing out on is huge. If you decided not to push the 4.2.2 version, why not push the previous build at least so we have bug fixes?

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    Options

It's the old story of the better being the enemy of the good. While waiting for Apple approval they discover bugs in the store version so decide to postpone application for approval of the MAS version until those bugs have been fixed. I have to wonder if there is a financial angle to this, e.g.
    does it cost Agilebits to obtain Apple approval? which would give incentive to the continued postponements.

• Thoom
    Thoom
    Community Member
    Options

No, that is the reason to postpone 4.2.2 which I understand perfectly. What I don't understand is why 4.1.3 hasn't been submitted, or 4.2, or 4.2.1.

• Jimmod
    Jimmod
    Community Member
    Options

There seems to be a lot of confusion here - and closing the comments on earlier posts is not helping. My one suggestion is to delay the non-app store launch until the app store version is available.

If you support the app store for distribution, and it isn't there - you shouldn't be launching you product as being generally available and releasing it to news organizations. This is product marketing 101.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

No, that is the reason to postpone 4.2.2 which I understand perfectly. What I don't understand is why 4.1.3 hasn't been submitted, or 4.2, or 4.2.1.>

Agilebits stated they were not going to release 4.2 to MAS because of bugs (wait for 4.2.2).

Agilebits have said they using a different numbering system for the MAS and Store so this may explain some of the apparent missed MAS releases. E.G. I think 4.1.3 and 4.2.1 are Store only numbers.

However the Release Notes show 4.2 (build 420016) as having been released to MAS on 11th March. This is wrong because 4.2 is not available on MAS, and also it has the same number as the Store version which seems against the numbering policy. (Perhaps I am remembering the numbering convention between Store and MAS incorrectly).

• Thoom
    Thoom
    Community Member
    Options

Whatever the numbering system used, what the release notes show clearly is a lot of bugs fixed since the last MAS update (just going by dates) which MAS users don't have access to, and that's not even considering new features. I have problems with my current version of 1Password which, for all I know, might be fixed since a couple point-release. I had no idea that going the MAS way would mean I'd be left behind. I went from webstore to MAS for simplicity but not I regret it.

• Jasper
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

We found a few issues in version 4.2.x that we felt were very important to fix, so we're not gonna be releasing any 4.2.x versions to the Mac App Store. We're gonna skip it and release version 4.3 instead, which will should be very soon.

Regarding 4.1.3 — we simply used different numbering for the AgileBits version and Mac App Store version. Both 4.1.2 and 4.1.3 are the same.

As soon as we have a new version ready, it will be submitted to the Mac App Store and released once approved by Apple. Your patience is greatly appreciated!

• TheMaJa
    TheMaJa
    Community Member
    Options

This is a dissatisfying situation. I really would like to have the features introduced in 4.2. I bought 1Password in the MAS and it feels like being a 2nd-class customer. Every new version will have some issues, so it looks like an endless wait to me. I understand that there is an option to switch to the web version, but can I use this for both of my Macs? By the way, I once had the web version (1Password 3.x), but then you told us, that 1Password will go MAS only in version 4, so I bought 1Password again from the App Store.

• Thoom
    Thoom
    Community Member
    Options

I'm in the same situation as you are (went from webstore to MAS in version 4, I have licences going back to version 2 I believe). I now switched back to the webstore version and I must say that the process is painless (do follow the steps in the support section). It does works on both my Macs.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @TheMaJa,

We found a few issues in version 4.2.x that we felt were very important to fix. This is the first time we've ever delayed the Mac App Store release, and definitely not something we plan to do often. I'm very sorry for the wait — version 4.3 should be coming very soon!

I understand that there is an option to switch to the web version, but can I use this for both of my Macs?

Yes. :)

This discussion has been closed.