Syncing (but not sharing) multiple vaults

Options
Chris100
Chris100
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

The helpful tutorial How to share a non-primary vault addresses vault syncing when you want to share the non-primary vault with someone else.

I'd like to sync a non-primary vault across my macs, but not share with anyone else.

I'm using dropbox.

Questions:

1. I assume I can follow the same instructions, except that I do not need to do the steps that create a shared dropbox folder. Is that correct?

2. Is it OK to place the non-primary vault in the same dropbox folder as the primary vault?

3. On my second computer, I will still need to follow the "adding a shared vault" step, even though I am not sharing with someone else. Is this right?

The non-primary vault will be for my archived items.

I think a lot of customers will have this use-case (sync, but not share). It might be worth adding this scenario to the tutorial.

Apologies if this is addressed elsewhere. (I searched around, but all the discussions of vault syncing deal with sharing with spouses, coworkers, etc.)

Comments

• Jasper
    edited October 2015
    Options

Hi @Chris100,

The helpful tutorial How to share a non-primary vault addresses vault syncing when you want to share the non-primary vault with someone else.

Those instructions are for sharing a secondary vault with someone else. The Dropbox sync instructions you are looking for can be found here:

Sync with Dropbox

Is it OK to place the non-primary vault in the same dropbox folder as the primary vault?

Yes, that is fine for 1Password 4 for Mac. But, you will run into trouble if you are using 1Password for iOS, which does not yet support multiple vaults (it will soon though).

• Chris100
    Chris100
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for responding, JasperP

The Dropbox sync instructions you are looking for can be found here:

Those instructions do not deal with how to get an additional mac mac to sync with the non-primary vault. Since the second mac is already syncing a primary vault, you do not get he setup options that you get with a clean install (the ones that let you go out and find your existing data.)

I am assuming that I must follow the instructions for "Adding a Shared Vault" at the end of How to share a non-primary vault. (Double click the .agilekeychain file on the second mac.) Is that right?

But, you will run into trouble if you are using 1Password for iOS, which does not yet support multiple vaults

I am aware that iOS can only access a single vault. Were you just warning me about that, I will there be a problem if both happen to be in the same folder?

• Jasper
    edited April 2014
    Options

I am assuming that I must follow the instructions for "Adding a Shared Vault" at the end of How to share a non-primary vault. (Double click the .agilekeychain file on the second mac.) Is that right?

That's correct.

I am aware that iOS can only access a single vault. Were you just warning me about that, I will there be a problem if both happen to be in the same folder?

I would recommend against creating several vaults in the 1Password folder in Dropbox until the iOS app supports multiple vaults, as some problems could occur. You'd probably be best waiting, as the update should be coming to iOS very soon.

This discussion has been closed.