1Password Should not default to "Automatically ask to save new Logins"

Options
bentomas
bentomas
Community Member

I've set up a number of people with 1Password, and I would always make sure to get the browser extensions installed so they could start saving their passwords right away automatically.

But I found myself checking in with people a week later to see how they were doing with 1Password, and they felt completely overwhelmed. They didn't understand how to create new passwords, how to edit them. They'd end up with the wrong passwords stored as well.

Basically, the "automatic login" setting was too magic. It didn't help them understand how they're passwords were stored or how to fix mistakes. So for the last two people I turned that off for them and walked them through manually putting in the website login URL into the edit form. I came back a week later and they were doing much better.

I'd consider changing the default.

Comments

• MikeT
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @bentomas‌,

Thank you for your feedback, it's very useful for us. It sounds like the automatic process were disconnecting them from the overall 1Password integration, which doesn't educate them how 1Password works on the basic level. If they're starting out on the browser extension first instead of the main app, I can see how it can be very difficult to adapt.

It really suggests that we need to provide a better tour on this workflow between the 1Password extension and the main 1Password app, or at least provide a better workflow that doesn't do too magic at first and slowly integrate the users with the rest of the 1Password experience.

The best way to save Logins is still through the extension's automatic process. Otherwise, you'll use a lot of the accuracy from the form fillers. In other words, if you focus on adding Logins manually in the main app, there's a good chance that many of them won't fill in properly, especially those with more than 2 login fields.

Again, thank you. The team will review this and see what we can do better here!

PS: Since this isn't really related to the betas, I've moved this to the general 1Password 4 for Mac thread.

This discussion has been closed.