New User - Dropbox Sync - Android only

mlangsottile
mlangsottile
Community Member

Is there a way to create a new keychain using the Android beta alone?

I don't have Windows or Mac, and I'd like to set up my 1Password using Android as my primary device, and sync with Dropbox so I can use 1PasswordAnywhere on Linux.

Is this currently possible? I looked through the forums, but could only find topics related to people who seemingly already have a keychain stored either locally or on Dropbox (from the OS X or Windows versions).

Seems like no matter which options I choose during initial setup, when I go to settings -> sync and try to select dropbox, it is looking for me to choose an existing keychain. (ChooseKeychain)

Am I missing something?
Thanks.

Comments

• Hi @mlangsottile. Thanks for trying out 1Password! At the moment, new agilekeychain (data file) cannot be initialized by 1Password Beta for Android. It only works with a preexisting data file. If you would like to use Dropbox or Folder sync on your Android device, you will need to create a data file from a Mac or Windows computer or an iOS device with 1Password. This is something that's in our plans to implemented in the future, I apologize for the inconvenience in the meantime.

• mlangsottile
    mlangsottile
    Community Member

How about 1Password Anywhere? Can new passwords be generated/saved from there, or is that only for viewing already stored ones?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@mlangsottile, if you want to open up a folder on your dropbox and PM me the details I can drop an empty vault in there for you to use.

Alternatively, and probably more usefully, @saad could make an empty vault available for download from Agilebits' website.

• saad
    edited April 2014

While that will work, I wouldn't treat it as a workaround. The empty vault would have the same encryption key allowing anyone to unlock your data. You would be putting all of your information at risk.

The encryption key does not change after it's created. Your master password can be changed, but it's only used to decrypt your encryption key. So changing your master password will not help in this case. If you choose to sync with an empty vault, please create it on your own using a Windows or Mac computer.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Which doesn't help @mlangsottile‌ at all he doesn't have a windows or mac installation.

So, if a common download is not suitable, my original offer stands. @mlangsottile‌, it's up to you to decide whether you want to trust me to provide a vault without extracting the master key.

This discussion has been closed.