Need help in switching from Dropbox to WiFi Sync, please

Options
BikerBob
BikerBob
Community Member

May I trouble someone for a simple listing of the order of steps to take in order to switch from Dropbox to WiFi syncing? I have been syncing using Dropbox for years and would like to try WiFi sync instead.

I have 1PWD for Mac and for iOS. I have an iMac, a MB Pro, an iPhone and an iPad.

Dropbox sync is turned on on all of my computers and devices.

Do I first turn off Dropbox Syncing in both computers running Mavericks, then do the same thing on the iPhone and iPad?

Do I then turn on WiFi syncing in any particular order?

Don't want to make a hash of this switch and would appreciate some guidance.

Many thanks

Comments

• @BikerBob,

WiFi sync will be less convenient for you because you have two Macs. At the moment, WiFi sync can only sync iOS devices and a Mac.

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for responding.

I understand. Is it in the cards where one day 1Password come will be able to sync a desktop and a laptop via WiFi sync?

One last question if I may: if I did decide to use WiFi sync so that I could sync my iMac/iPhone/iPad, how could I then sync the iMac and the MacBook Pro? Copy some specific 1Password file from the iMac (the master) to the MB Pro (the slave)?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BikerBob‌

To move from Dropbox to Wi-Fi, here's what you want to do:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• Then follow the instructions here to set up Wi-Fi sync: Wi-Fi

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much Megan. The great support on this site is what I always cite when I am suggesting 1Password to friends, colleagues, and family. Got you at least two new customers as a result of this Heartbleed business.

It has been pointed out to me elsewhere on these forums that if I switch to WiFi sync, this will only work between my iMac and my iDevices and NOT between my iMac and my MB Pro.

Is there some way, using a USB thumb drive, that, for example, if I added/deleted/changed a password on the iMac that I could keep the MB Pro in sync by copying a certain Password file from the iMac to the MacBook Pro???

Many thanks.
    BB

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

As to your last question, I think what you need to look at is folder sync. Put briefly it generates a regularly updated keychain file on Mac 1 which you can then transfer at any time to Mac 2.

Stephen

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Stephen. Sorry to trouble you with another question, but which 1Password file or folder should I sync between my iMac and my MacBook Air?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

When you select folder sync in 1P4 sync options you can choose the folder to which you wish to save the keychain file. That keychain will be kept in sync with the Mac it's on. Any time you want to transfer it to the other machine just put the keychain file (in the folder you originally selected, of course) on the USB stick and transfer it to the other Mac. To be quite clear, it's the keychain file that you're moving between the two Macs.

Does that help?

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BikerBob,

Wi-Fi sync is still a relatively new sync solution. We initially planned to leave Wi-Fi sync out of version 4, but users told us how much they missed it, so we've been writing it back in. This means that there is still room for improvement here, and we're working on it!

In the meantime, to keep your iMac and MacBook Pro in sync, you might want to look into a custom solution using Folder Sync. If you are ok with doing a manual copy solution, Folder Sync will save your data in a location of your choice and you can then copy this file and paste this to the location of your other computer (the slave).

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions! :)

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the Folder Sync tip. Which 1Password file/folder contains the info I need to sync between the iMac and MB Pro?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You choose the folder in which you want to store the keychain when you select folder sync. The keychain is the file you transfer to the other machine.

Stephen

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Stephen,

I find two, 1Password keychain folders on my Mac, both presently in Dropbox which I currently use to sync 1Password.

One is here: Dropbox folder/1Password folder/1Password.agilekeychain.

The other is here: Dropbox Folder/1Password-340561731.agilekeychain.

When I switch to WiFi syncing for my iOS devices and have to sync a folder between my iMac and MB Pro, is it both these files that I have to sync? Only one? If so, which one? And once I turn off Dropbox syncing, do I move both files somewhere else and is it important where?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BikerBob,

I do apologize for the confusion here. Folder Sync can seem a bit odd ... it took me a while to wrap my head around it!

When you disable Dropbox sync and select Folder Sync, you will be prompted to choose a Folder (any location) to save your data. 1Password will then create a brand new 1Password.agilekeychain in that location.

And once I turn off Dropbox syncing, do I move both files somewhere else and is it important where?

There is no real need to save these files. When you disable Dropbox syncing, you can select the option to delete the data. If you do want to keep them around, you can store them in a location that makes sense to you.

I hope this helps, but I'm happy to answer any further questions you might have!

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much, Megan. Let me digest all the info I have accumulated on switching from Dropbox sync to WiFi sync, both for syncing between my iMac and my iOS devices and using folder syncing to sync between my iMac and my MB Pro then get post it here for confirmation that I have it correct.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Hi @BikerBob,

To keep this discussion together I've merged your posts, and replies to them, from Wifi Sync works into this related topic that you started. :)
This discussion has been closed.