How do I use 1PasswordAnywhere with a USB Key?

Options
titkos
titkos
Community Member
edited February 2014 in Mac

Hi,
I'm using 1Password 4.0.8.
Which files or folder should I copy to my USB Key?
For more security, should I use Lacie encryption software?
I'm using this USB key: http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/09/lacie-porsche-design-usb3-thumbdrive/

Comments

• Hey @titkos,

Short answer:

You need to move your 1Password.agilekeychain file to the USB drive.

Long answer:

Which files or folder should I copy to my USB Key?

To use the 1PasswordAnywhere, you'll need to move your .agilekeychain file to the USB flash drive. If you are talking about your primary vault, it'll be 1Password.agilekeychain. If it is a secondary vault, it will have a different name (but the same extension).

You'll only find an Agile Keychain file if you use Dropbox or Folder syncing. If you are not currently syncing, or are using a different sync method (like iCloud), you will need to enable (or temporarily switch to) folder sync. That will allow you to choose a folder for an Agile Keychain file.

Now to access 1PasswordAnywhere (once you have the Agile Keychain file on your USB drive), you will need to find the 1Password.html file inside the 1Password.agilekeychain file. You might have to right-click on the 1Password.agilekeychain file and choose Show Package Contents to find the html file.

It's also important to note that many browsers prevent loading files from the local file system. Since you're accessing 1PasswordAnywhere locally rather than online through Dropbox, this will affect you.

For example, if you are using Safari you will have to disable local file restrictions, as Safari blocks 1PasswordAnywhere. To disable this, do the following:

• Open Safari
    • Click Safari > Preferences... in the menu bar
    • Go to the Advanced tab
    • Ensure Show Develop menu in menu bar is checked
    • Click Develop in the menu bar, then Disable Local File Restrictions

For more security, should I use Lacie encryption software?

That's really your choice, but I personally wouldn't. All of your 1Password data is already encrypted, and as long as you have a strong master password you shouldn't really have to worry.

Hope that helps! :)

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member
    Options

@titkos, hopefully @jasperp got you all sorted out. Keep in mind that you will basically have to use Safari unless you find a way around the local file restrictions in other browsers. If you are syncing your data via Dropbox, you can always use 1PasswordAnywhere instead of having to carry around the USB Drive. As Jasper pointed out, your 1Password data file is encrypted no matter what, whether you never move it off your hard drive or if you sync it to a cloud service. I'm not telling you not to use the USB drive, but you may not need to if it's a "just in case" option. :)

• titkos
    titkos
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much to both of you. Sorry i wasn't informed you had replied, i've just found out now.

• Jasper
    Options

You're welcome! Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.