1P4 MAS Backups

Options
monco
monco
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

Hello,

I am a 1P4 MAS user, and I want to delete the backup folder used by 1P3. From what I've gathered so far, the locations of the backups are:

1P3 – Library/Application Support/1Password

1P4 – Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library

I've noticed that the "backups" in the 1P4 location are only around 500KB whereas the backups in the 1P3 location are around 10MB, exactly the same as the file size of my keychain. This leads me to doubt whether the files in the 1P4 location are true backups.

What should I do?

Thanks

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

One thing you can do is to check where the 1P4 backups are being saved. Go to 1P4 > Preferences > Backup, highlight one of the saved backups and click on Find Backup. Does that help?

Stephen

• monco
    monco
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I've checked that the 1P4 backups are being saved here:

Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups

So my question is, why is the size of the backup file only 500KB and not the full 10MB size of my keychain?

Prior to deleting the 1P3 file,
    Library/Application Support/1Password/Agent/1PasswordAgent,

I was getting 10MB backups inside the folder,
    Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry a correction first: I should have said click on Find Files, not Find Backup!

Your backup files from 1P4 are in fact a collection of .zip files which hold the database so a direct comparison of the size of that bundle of files with the size of the keychain probably won't produce a meaningful comparison. If you right click on the keychain file and choose Show package contents you'll see the data structure is quite different.

That said, I'm wondering if you're looking at only one of the .zip files which comprise the total 1P4 backup. The files that comprise the backup should all be highlighted when you click on Find Files (and, again, apologies for the error in my initial post).

Stephen

• monco
    monco
    Community Member
    Options

The folder which contains the 1P4 backups contains 30 files, one for each of the last 30 days. The most recent one is named:

"1Password 2014-04-16 08_46_39 (1 profiles, 210 items, 2 folders, 3 attachments).1p4_zip" – file size is 500KB.

Before I deleted 1PasswordAgent, I was getting backups in the other folder location, with each of the 30 backups the same size as my keychain. The most recent of those files is named:

"1Password 2014-04-13 130509 (212 items).agilekeychain_zip" – file size is 10MB.

I doesn't make sense to me that the current backup file is 1/20th the size of my keychain. It's also not consistent with other backups being exactly the same size as my keychain. I'm looking for an explanation and a fix for what I think is a problem. I appreciate your help.

• Jasper
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @monco,

Your 1Password 4 data is located in an SQLite database at: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/

That folder is what 1Password backs up.

What is the size of the Data folder at that location?

• monco
    monco
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hello,

I just checked the folder you indicated. The size of that Data folder is 1.1MB. It doesn't look like it contains any backups. Here are the filenames inside that Data folder:

E8EC69B258464B56A01DD809B87FC886__66E47AC95C214C5BAEDF3E40B76EDB77.blob2

OnePassword.sqlite

OnePassword.sqlite-shm

OnePassword.sqlite-wal

What do you think is going on?

Thanks

• Jasper
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @monco,

That sounds correct. If your data folder is 1.1mb, it's possible that a backup is compressed to a 500kb ZIP file.

Your backups are located here: ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/

Each .1p4_zip file should contain the same .sqlite, .sqlite-shm, .sqlite-wal, and .blob2 files that are in the data folder.

If you copy one of the .1p4_zip files elsewhere and change the extension to .zip, you'll be able to unzip the backup and see its contents.

• monco
    monco
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I just tried what you suggested. I changed the extension and opened one of the .1p4_zip backup files. It contained three files: .sqlite, .sqlite-shm, and .blob2.

The size of the unzipped folder is 782KB. Does that seem right when my 1Password.agilekeychain file is 10.6MB? Also, when I tried to open the .sqlite file using TextWrangler, a popup message said the file is damaged and can't be opened.

My backups that were previously saved in the folder ~Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups have the extension .agilekeychain_zip and are each 10.6MB. When I unzip that and look inside the data folder, there is a .1password files for each of my login items.

• Jasper
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @monco,

Does that make sense when my 1Password.agilekeychain file is 10.6MB?

1Password 4 doesn't directly store your data in the .agilekeychain file.

Your data is stored in a SQLite database, located at ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/

The .agilekeychain is only used for Dropbox or folder syncing.

Also, when I tried to open the .sqlite file using TextWrangler, a popup message said the file is damaged and can't be opened.

No worries, you can't open the .sqlite file with TextWrangler.

I don't think there's anything wrong here. But, if you'd like us to look into this further, please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this discussion, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

• monco
    monco
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @JasperP‌

1Password 4 doesn't store your data in the .agilekeychain file.

How can the .agilekeychain file not contain my data? If my Mac is turned off, my iPhone gets updated login info from that file.

Also, my previous backups are the same size as my keychain, 10.6MB. Why are my current backups about 5% of that size?

I appreciate you trying to help, but none of this is making sense to me.

• Jasper
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @monco,

1Password 4 doesn't directly store your data in the .agilekeychain file (I've clarified that in my post above).

Your data is stored in a SQLite database, located at ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Data/

That is where the 1Password 4 app directly stores and accesses your data.. The .agilekeychain file is created when you enable Dropbox syncing, and a copy of your data is stored there. That file is only used for syncing purposes.

So we can look into this further, please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this discussion, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

This discussion has been closed.