How to Visually Check That 1password Has Backed Up My Saved Files...

Options
Bassmunchkin
Bassmunchkin
Community Member

Hi everyone, I have searched the latest 10 pages of answers to find the question to my answer, but only drop box answers are explained.

I have a Macbook pro and a wireless Time Capsule of which I back everything up to automatically.

I opened the main 1password screen and went to preferences/backup and clicked the latest saved file once to highlight and then clicked “show files”.

It automatically took me to “Library/Application Support/1password4/Backups where four files were saved.

Should I be able to open these up and check the contents, as double clicking on them only brought up the “No application window and suggested searching the app store” of which I have no idea what I was suppose to search for as I already have 1password app installed on my Google Chrome browser.

Or, do I NOT need to bother with this and if I have an issue with losing everything in the future at some time, that I just go to the preferences/backup window, click the latest update and hit the restore button.

I just want to know NOW that the back and save theory does work, so that I don’t find out later that it hasn’t, as I can’t visually see my saved backups.

Kind regards,

Terry

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I can confirm (having had to rely on it during beta testing!) that you can rely on restoring a backup from 1P4. You probably can't easily open the backup files and check the contents (although I believe they're simply .zip files) but when you highlight one of them in finder, and if you have the status bar enabled, you should see the number of profiles, items, folders and attachments in the backup. That ought to provide some degree of reassurance!

Stephen

• Bassmunchkin
    Bassmunchkin
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Ok Stephen thanks for your help, I guess I will have to keep my fingers crossed :-)

This discussion has been closed.