royofsf
Community Member

OK, so my first time out with 5 dice, I got this:

23336 doubt
26515 g
24544 johns
16223 casey
64335 wolff

As is and with spaces between these "words", this only achieved an entropy of 65.

Can my passcode be these five "words" in any combination or do they have to stay in the order rolled? Do they have to stay in the exact spelling that I looked up on the chart? Can I vary them slightly: johns casey doubts g wolff or Johns Casey doubts G Wolff?

I assume that I can make no changes in spelling but I don't know if I can vary the order.

Comments

• royofsf
    royofsf
    Community Member
    Options

Two more questions. In my only two Diceware efforts so far, I came with "g" and "ai". How do I use those? If I add other letters to make an actual word, do I not ruin the randomness by picking the result myself. I was hoping that this wasn't based on ONLY pure memory but that I could make some kind of sentence out of the 5-6 words that I rolled in both cases. If not, so be it.

• royofsf
    royofsf
    Community Member
    Options

One more. If I roll for 6 words, can I delete a word that I don't like (ie, "ai" was one I don't like)?

• limulus
    limulus
    Community Member
    Options

Most anything you do to alter the passphrase will theoretically reduce the number of possibilities a computer will have to examine to brute force your it. Even generating multiple passphrases with diceware until you get one you like is going to weaken it. The only thing I can think of that wouldn't negatively impact the strength of your passphrase would be to insert extra words/numbers/characters in-between the words chosen by Diceware.

The Diceware FAQ has a helpful suggestion for remembering your diceware passphrase:

Try making a mnemonic. First, make sure you know what each word means. Look it up if you have to. Then try to make up a story that uses those words. For example, here is a five word Diceware passphrase selected at random:

strop 17 aw tete kart

My dictionary defines strop as a strip of leather used to sharpen a razor. Tete, as in tete-a-tete comes from the French word for "head." So I imagine myself sharpening my razor knife seventeen times before cutting off the all wet head of a fish. It may sound hokey, but it works!

Probably goes without saying, but don’t use the passphrase you posted here. ;)

• royofsf
    royofsf
    Community Member
    Options

limulus - Exactly what I feared. But the solution is very helpful and logical. Thanks much.

This discussion has been closed.