v4 doesn't offer alternative window layout

Options
m_w
m_w
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac

In v3 (and I think in all previous versions as well) 1Password allowed you to choose your preferred window layout. You always had 1 pane at the left to navigate between categories, folders, etc. But the pane on the right hand side could be viewed with the titles of individual data records in one column and next it to the details. Alternatively, you could choose to view the titles and a few other details in a list at the top and the data redo crd details below that. With v4 you only have the 3 panes next to each other. Initially, I thought I could handle this but now I realised that this has a major drawback for me. I have lots of records in different categories that belong to each other and I've give them descriptive titles which from left to right get more and more specific. For example, I might have the following records (I indicated in brackets the category of each record):

Bank with a long name Current me (Bank Accounts)
Bank with a long name Current wife (Bank Accounts)
Bank with a long name Platinum Visa me (Credit Card)
Bank with a long name Platinum Visa wife (Credit Card)
Bank with a long name Platinum MC me (Credit Card)
Bank with a long name Platinum MC wife (Credit Card)
Bank with a long name Visa DC me (Debit Card)
Bank with a long name Visa DC wife (Debit Card)
Bank with a long name web me (Logins)
Bank with a long name web wife (Logins)

With the old layout I could have the 1Password window as small as possible with the list of records at the top with the title column wide enough to see the full titles and so I could easily choose the right record. With the new layout I see only this unless I make the window a lot larger:

Bank with a long nam...
Bank with a long nam...
Bank with a long nam...
Bank with a long nam...
Bank with a long nam...
Bank with a long nam...
Bank with a long nam...
Bank with a long nam...

And even selecting a record doesn't often help because the title in the record details doesn't wrap and so also shows only "Bank with a long name ..."

Please bring back the alternative window layout.

Alternatively, please make the titles wrap in the middle column and the record details and let us choose the font size and whether we want to see additional detail like the card number in the 2nd column.

Cheers
Michael

Comments

• jwholder
    jwholder
    Community Member
    Options

I'm surprised more people have not missed this feature! I had been using the ability to sort by any column to sort by Folder so that I could see any records that were not assigned to a Folder. The ability to define the column headings and the order that they are displayed is also a feature that I miss. Please bring this functionality back!

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

There was much discussion about this in the beta forum (see here for example). The thread I've referenced probably won't encourage you but it will give some idea of AgileBits' views (which, of course, could change).

Stephen

• davidn
    davidn
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for alternative views!
    I don't like this column view, nor that AB has made quite a few interface changes like this without notice; sure the shiny new features were trumpeted, but the takeaways were not. v3.x was working fine. Had I known what they've taken away I may well have stuck with 3.x. It's also not reasonable to expect users of paid software to monitor discussions in beta forums. Open source, free software, fine, but paid? A little more fairness would have been nice.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

Another vote for alternative views! I don't like this column view, nor that AB has made quite a few interface changes like this without notice; sure the shiny new features were trumpeted, but the takeaways were not. v3.x was working fine. Had I known what they've taken away I may well have stuck with 3.x. It's also not reasonable to expect users of paid software to monitor discussions in beta forums. Open source, free software, fine, but paid? A little more fairness would have been nice.

Completely agree.

Was there a crying need to replace the previous layout? I don't recall seeing complaints about it.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

I understand - reading the beta thread - that one reason for the current simplified view in v4 is speed. For that I'm thankful as I have some 800 records in my 1Pwd. However, since this issue only exists on the Mac even my old iMac from 2008 was coping alright with v3. What does annoy me most now is that the titles don't wrap, neither in the middle column nor the detail pane on the right. If you don't bring the alternative view back then at least make the titles wrap.

• Hi guys,

Here's what I wrote in other threads that've asked for the condensed layout like the one mentioned here:

We do plan to investigate for a new traditional widescreen layout (or as you call it, compressed view) in a future update, it is one of the top most requested features we're getting for 1Password 4 on Mac.
    Dave, one of the developers of 1Password 4, wants the same thing, so there's some good chance it might happen in the future.

As for wrapping, I'll file an improvement request for this in our tracker. That should help with the long titles for now.

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Hi MikeT - what happened to your improvement request? When can we expect this in a release?

Cheers
    Michael

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Michael,

1Password 4 now offers a more traditional layout - simply go to View > Item List Layout and select 'Top'. Is this what you're hoping for?

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - that does help; just needs wrapping titles now to make it perfect :-)

• Jasper
    Options

I'm glad to hear the new layout helps! And thanks for the feedback about wrapping titles. :)

This discussion has been closed.