Not Able to Sync Desktop and iPhone App

Options
Tony Teegarden
Tony Teegarden
Community Member

I just purchased the new 1PW 4 for desktop - I'm on current version 1Password 4 Version 4.3 (430017) - no problems there.

I went to sync it with 1PW3 on my iPhone which after reading I realized wasn't going to work. So I bought the new 1PW4 for iPhone.

I'm following directions based on what's being said in the app - Sync Using Wi-Fi - "Open 1Password 4 for Mac or Windows and select Window > Wi-Fi Sync or File > Wi-Fi Sync, respectively. Make sure this Phone and your computer are connected to the same Wi-Fi network."

So when I go to 1PW on my desk top - neither of these "sync" options are available either in the File tab or anywhere else. My phone and desktop are on the same Wi-Fi network and in my iPhone all I see below that message is a "refresh list" with nothing else there. I've tried to refresh list but I don't see anything different when I do.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. if it matters, I'm synced just fine with dropbox between both my iPhone and my Desk top and my keychain is saved in dropbox because I'm using dropbox to bridge my iMac which is still running 1PW3.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So your phone seems to be exhibiting the correct behaviour. If 1Password on your desktop hasn't been set to sync via Wi-Fi then then list would be empty and refreshing would do nothing. So at the moment, to me, it seems to be all about 1Password on your desktop.

As it's an iMac then the Wi-Fi Sync option would be in the Windows drop down menu so what is in that menu for you? For me it looks pretty much like the very first image in this AgileBit's guide for Wi-Fi syncing. If yours doesn't look like that then there is something very strange going on indeed. The guide looks easy to follow so assuming the options are in the right place, that guide should have you syncing wirelessly. It might sound like a daft question but Wi-Fi on your iMac is enabled is it? you're not using an ethernet cable to connect it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Tony,

Please let me know if @littlebobbytables‌ link to the sync guide helps you out. As he mentions, the Wi-Fi sync option should be available under the 'Window' menu option in 1Password 4.

• Tony Teegarden
    Tony Teegarden
    Community Member
    Options

@littleobbytables thanks! That did the job. it was the desktop.

I was missing the wrong tab and not looking for the "windows" tab. Total user error lol.

Thanks bunch. All is working fine now.

• slongfield
    slongfield
    Community Member
    Options

I just bought the app and am confused about how to access on iPhone and iPad. Do you have to buy the app in the app store for these devices (at least one of them) as well as the app I already bought for my iMac? If so, will the devices all sync via my wifi or the cloud?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @slongfield‌

I apologize for the confusion here! 1Password is a separate purchase for each platform. But there is good news: the sale on 1Password 4 for iOS is continuing this week, and it is a universal app, so one purchase can be installed on all your iOS6+ compatible devices using your AppleID. You can then use Dropbox or iCloud or Wi-Fi to keep your devices in sync with your Mac.

I hope this gets you all sorted out, but I'd be happy to help if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.