newbie with questions

Options
mbierman
mbierman
Community Member

Hi I am finally trying to take the plunge and move to 1Password! Better late than never, right? Anyway here are some questions to get me started.

1. From what I gather, syncing between devices can be accomplished via iCloud, Dropbox or a folder (which can be located where? NAS, desktop...?) Is it true there is no syncing built directly into the 1Password app? Until I set up one kind of syncing or another, each device is on its own, correct?

2. How do I use 1Password on iOS outside of the builtin browser. I'm not willing to give up my browser to solve a password problem, sorry. No way, no how. No offense, I'm sure your browser is cool and all... but not going to do that. I assume I have to go to the 1Password app, get my password and use it manually in the browser of my choice (usually Chrome)?

3. Same question for native apps. I assume other than the list provided, I go to the 1Password app and get the password I need then go to the app if it isn't supported?

Apologies for the questions but before I plug down the price of a subscription AND the iOS app I want to know if this is for me or not.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mbierman‌

Welcome to 1Password! Let's get you sorted out here.

1. You're right, there is no built-in 1Password sync. You can choose from Dropbox, iCloud, Folder Sync, or Wi-Fi. (Details of each are described in the linked articles.) Data is stored locally and won't be synced or stored anywhere until you say so.

2 and 3. I am sorry to say that due to the sandboxing of apps on iOS, Apple does not provide developers with a way to directly interface with other apps. Unless the app has included support for 1Password explicitly, we cannot do anything (like filling) in another app. These sandboxing restrictions also prohibit 1Password from providing browser extensions for mobile browsers. This is why we have 1Browser available within the 1Password app: to allow you to take advantage of 1Password's stored information and filling capabilities.

Currently to log into other apps such as the Facebook native app, you need to copy and paste from the 1Password app. 1Password makes this easy as you can simply tap on the username or password to copy it. 1Password will then clear out the clipboard within a given time period to ensure that your important information does not stay in the clipboard after you no longer have a need for it. You can check out Apps that love 1Password to see which apps have added 1Password integration into their interface.

I hope this helps to answer your questions, but I'd be happy to answer any more you might have!

• mbierman
    mbierman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Megan. That's incredibly helpful.

One more question. If I use say iCloud, what insurance is there on the data? I mean the nature of a solution like 1Password is you are putting all your eggs in one basket. Now I suppose there are two main points of risk: 1) any data that goes through 1Password (if any) and access to the sync data store. Is the data in the store obfuscated so it is harder for anyone to make sense of it even if they got it and unencrypted it (I assume it is encrypted?)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

I use the iOS app only and I use safari too only. Now the idea I use is I'll go on the 1password web browser and make a user name, password, and so on. I save that all in 1password, then copy the password then go on safari, log in to the website, paste the password, and save it to iCloud Keychain.
    Now this is how I did it before the update, sadly they removed the password generator in the built in web browser. So I do the opposite and still works nice. Please bring back the password generator back to the built in web browser :)
    Yes, I use 1password and iCloud Keychain. One reason why I use 1password is because it so organized and very easy to find a password you need.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mbierman‌

I am so glad you are thinking strongly about the security of your data - thats what we like to see!

We are very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud, as your data file is encrypted with an exceedingly secure encryption algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. In short, we believe it is just as secure as having the data on your laptop. To learn more about cloud data security, have a read through the following article.

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

And you can see the thoughts behind our data format's design here.

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Security/keychain-design.html

Also, you can check out our blog for many more articles that go into the nitty gritty math behind what makes 1Password so secure.

http://blog.agilebits.com/tag/cryptography_/

I hope this helps, but don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @prime,

Thanks so much for letting me know your workflow here. There certainly is nothing wrong with storing your data both in 1Password and the iCloud keychain, and I'd be happy to add your vote to the existing feature request to bring the password generator back into 1Browser. :)

This discussion has been closed.