No 'View Password History' field

Options
itsulon
itsulon
Community Member

I've just installed 1Password 4 for Mac and generated my first password. It works fine and has definitely replaced the original. Then I went to the next step, which is for updating 1Password's file copy. I clicked on the key in Firefox's tool bar and selected the Password Generator. I get the Generator ok but the 'View Password History' field is missing, so I can't complete the step for updating 1Password's file copy. Apparently that step is important because the only way I can get into that website is to reveal the password on the main page and copy it; and then paste it manually on the website's login page.

So, do you think the browser extension was installed incorrectly? Should I re-install it? I'm afraid to do too much experimenting or I might inadvertently lose that password and of course I'm not changing any more until I get this figured out? Thanks much for any help!

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You should see previously used passwords for the relevant login in a field, towards the bottom of the pop-up, called show previously used passwords. You can view it just by clicking on it. It's easier to do that if you first anchor the pop-up by clicking on the anchor symbol in the bottom right corner of the pop-up.

Does that help?

If for any reason you don't see a previously used password there check whether you have a Passwords category. That stores any password not specifically linked to a saved login.

Stephen

• itsulon
    itsulon
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Stephen. That's where I understood it should be - at the bottom of the Password Generator in the popup you get when you click on the key. But it just isn't there - everything else that should be there is there, but not that.

I do have a Passwords category, both on the main page and in the popup. But strangely, the Passwords category only contains ONLY ONE login, even though I've created five. I have no clue how that happened, or even what it means. The password that is listed for that one login in the Passwords category is the current password, not any previous password.

Another mystery is that on the main page, one and ONLY ONE of my logins has a field entitled 'Previously Used Passwords.' That field appears just below the field entitled 'Show Web Form Details,' and does contain an older password, no longer valid. All of the other four logins show the Web Form Details field but not the Previously Used Passwords field.

These problems are not preventing me from using 1Password; I am gaining more confidence in being able to 'get the job done;' it's just a little unsettling and is slowing progress at this point. Thanks again for your input, Stephen.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry I didn't manage to resolve the problem for you. I'm sure someone else will be along soon with some other suggestions!

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @itsulon,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we experienced a surge in support requests recently. We're doing the best we can to get back to our usual speedy replies as soon as possible. I am sorry that things are a bit confusing for you right now, let's see if we can't clear things up:

But strangely, the Passwords category only contains ONLY ONE login, even though I've created five.

The Passwords category holds passwords that have not yet been added to Logins. Once the password is safely stored in a Login entry, it is removed from the Passwords category.

The password that is listed for that one login in the Passwords category is the current password, not any previous password.

This is as expected. Previous passwords are not stored within this category. As @Stephen_C says, each Login entry will store the previously used passwords for that site. It will update when you change the password within the Login entry. If there are no previously used passwords for that site, the 'previously used passwords' category will not exist in that entry.

When I'm changing passwords, here's the steps I use:

• Go to the "change password" page of the website (this location depends on the way the website is set up, but it's often under the account settings section).
    • Copy and paste your current password from 1Password into the ‘current password’ field (if there is one)
    • When you are presented with the fields to change your password, you can click the 1Password extension, and choose the password generator (the icon that looks like a combination lock) to create a custom random strong password.
    • Click the Fill button.
    • After filling it on the webpage, 1Password should then prompt you to update your saved login for this site.
    • If 1Password does not prompt you to update your Login, that strong password you just generated has been saved to your clipboard by default when you clicked 'Fill', so all you have to do is open your Login in 1Password and paste the new password in the appropriate field!
    • Please note, that new password is also saved under your Passwords tab automatically.

Let me know if these steps help you out at all. If you're still having trouble, please let me know and I'd be more than happy to help! :)

• itsulon
    itsulon
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Megan, that does clear a few things up. It's coming along, I have 21 logins going now and can basically operate without getting completely stuck ... eventually I figure things out. The View Password History field is still a mystery though. I've still never seen it, although on the main page the 'Previously Used Passwords' field does show up just below the 'Show Web Form Details' field on roughly half of my logins, but is missing on the rest ... still haven't figured that out. Don't know how critical this might ever be, but it's not slowing me down right now. Thanks again!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @itsulon,

The 'Previously Used Passwords' won't show up in an item until you have changed that item's password. I hope this explains things a bit further, but keep the questions coming if you're curious about anything else! :)

This discussion has been closed.