Importing passwords from the Firefox

AedFind
AedFind
Community Member

I'm trying for the first time 1password and I would like to import all my passwords from Firefox. I saw this post [discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/10415/importing-passwords-from-the-firefox-password-manager] which explains how to do it, but I can't find a "Import Saved Firefox Passwords" button...

Can you tell me where it is please, because without it this app is useless. I won't type again hundreds of passwords!

Thanks.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I believe you have to import the passwords first into 1P3. If you don't have 1P3 I think you can download a trial version from the AgileBits' website, which will run for 30 days.

Sorry that this is more complex than you would wish (I'm sure!) but import options for 1P4 are currently restricted to 1PIF format and .csv files.

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AedFind,

Unfortunately the import feature in 1Password 4 is still a bit limited. Stephen is right, there are more import options in 1Password 3. Please let me know how importing via his suggestion goes :)

• rickcolosimo
    rickcolosimo
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

Importing like that doesn't work. I can uninstall v4, and install v3 (3.8.2.1). I removed the v4 extension from Firefox and have the oldest extension that works added (3.9.12). The icon for the extension does not match the one in the instructions in v3, so I assume that the versions have jumped ahead in fits and starts and no longer match up.

Workaround required.

1. Here's an extension for Firefox that (in Firefox 24) exported my 548 saved passwords to a .csv file: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/password-exporter/

2. Export was very quick.

3. USE 1Pv3 (from attempt to do process above) to import.

4. File/Import. Select the csv file. (In v4, this must have the .csv extension, so mine now did from the earlier failed attempt.) You will have to adjust the fields manually to ensure they match and select "Login" as type. 548 logins imported.

5. Export all to 1PIF (just in case) to desktop. Not encrypted - remember to delete later.

6. Close 1Pv3.

7. Reinstalled 1Pv4 (from App Store, in my case). It remembered my earlier master password.

8. Import the 1PIF folder.

9. 548 items imported.

This is CRITICAL INFO FOR NEW USERS. I recommend your version of this process be added to the FAQ or KnowledgeBase so a user less skilled or patient than me can find this.

Rick Colosimo
    rickcolosimo.com
    @rickcolosimo

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

That's awesome, @rickcolosimo. Thanks for writing up those detailed instructions; much appreciated! Sure seems FAQ or KB worthy to me after doing some testing here. :)

• lalady
    lalady
    Community Member

Yea... would have loved to know this from the get-go. I'm a new 1P user and have never had the previous version...

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member

@lalady are you up and running now, or do you still need some assistance?

• CarlosGP
    CarlosGP
    Community Member

This import shortcoming is the deal breaker for me. I'm a new potential user who just downloaded this app today and wasted precious hours of his life trying to troubleshoot the import "feature" to no avail. If I pay good money for an app, it's for it to help me, NOT for me to waste my time troubleshooting. You've lost several sales today (I'm a small business owner). This feature does not live up to the glowing reviews I found, which led me to believe I could import my existing login info from the browsers I normally use.

Disappointed, to say the least... :(

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CarlosGP,

I'm sorry to hear that importing with 1Password 4 has been a troublesome and time consuming experience for you. There is a bug in version 4.3 that is fixed in the 4.4 update, which I hope will help. We'd sure like to assist with resolving any problems you're still having with 1Password!

• CarlosGP
    CarlosGP
    Community Member

Thank you for your response, but I'm afraid it comes too late as far as I'm concerned. I found a competing product, Dashlane, which offers seamless import of all my previous passwords from the 3 browsers I use, and I'm already using it. This issue really is a shortcoming for someone like me, I hope for your own sake that you'll be able to fix it. Best wishes.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CarlosGP‌

I'm so sorry to hear that 1Password wasn't the right fit for you. We know that getting your data into 1Password should be an easy process, and I do apologize that you ran into this bug.

I am glad to hear that you have found a solution though! If you do have any questions for us in the future, you know where to find us. :)

This discussion has been closed.