1Password 4.5 iOS sync fails and all items vanish.

Options
codyfrisch
codyfrisch
Community Member

My iPhone has been having issues with 4.5 and I'm getting several error messages. It will sync just fine for a while and then the following message appears "Error 1Password will no longer sync because no sync source was found for profile".

I attempt to setup sync again and the same error appears (as shown in the attached image.). Subsequently an error about not all information being received from iCloud appears. (As shown in the second attached image).

Restarting the phone makes it go away, and I can setup sync but at some point later the whole error sequence happens again. I thought it was due to having MobileIron@Work installed and setup, so I restored (from iTunes) my phone to test. It was fine without MobileIron for a day. To prove it was MobileIron I reinstalled it - and the problem returned. I thought this confirmed it was related to MobileIron. So, I again wiped my phone, and setup 1Password and never installed MobileIron. However this time the error still occurred, without MobileIron having been installed at any point since the restore of iOS.

Running iOS 7.1.1 on an iPhone 5s.

For comparison I am not aware of my iPad Air having the same issue (though gets less usage so may not have triggered yet?), running iOS 7.1.1 and 1Password 4.5. Mac is version 4.3 from the Mac App Store.

For the time being I have switched to Dropbox sync, although I find the performance of iCloud sync to be superior, as well as level of integration.

Comments

• cyclistguy2
    cyclistguy2
    Community Member
    Options

I have the exact same problem. It occurs with both dropbox and icloud sync. Syncing works find at first, but I also see the following message within the next day: "Error 1Password will no longer sync because no sync source was found for profile". I am not using "MobileIron" so this issue is obviously related to something else. A bit frustrating!

Anyone?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @codyfrisch‌

I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble with sync here. I can help you get iCloud sync sorted out if you'd like ... but if Dropbox is working nicely for you, do you want to just leave things as they are?

Hi @cyclistguy2‌

I'd be happy to help you get things straightened out here. Generally I'd recommend resetting sync as a first-step here - that's usually a good way to kick things back into gear. If you let me know whether you prefer iCloud or Dropbox, I can provide the steps to get things up and running again!

• cyclistguy2
    cyclistguy2
    Community Member
    Options

Megan:

Can you provide the instructions for resetting sync for both icloud and dropbox? (I haven't decided which one to use yet!)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cyclistguy2,

Here's how to reset your sync with iCloud:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and tap 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

If you decide to use Dropbox sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

• codyfrisch
    codyfrisch
    Community Member
    Options

I will give iCloud sync a try.

I had done all of this previously in my attempts. Dropbox sync failed on me this morning with the same errors. Finally I made sure iCloud data was deleted and in the iCloud preferences for "Documents & Data" I turned off 1Password - even though i wasn't using iCloud sync.

As a result it went all day. Now, I've followed a mix of the steps above to disable Dropbox and remove the data, and reenable iCloud. Let's see if it sticks this time. But considering I'd actually formatted computer, restored iOS in iTunes, and deleted iCloud data first, and rebuilt the whole vault from an interchange file and still had the error previously, to me it points the fingers to a bug in the iCloud sync portion of 1Password which affects things even using Dropbox unless in the OS you deny 1Password access to iCloud.

• codyfrisch
    codyfrisch
    Community Member
    Options

Just in case, what log settings should i enable in the iOS app in case this continues to happen?

I'd like to get this fixed and having logging turned on is the first step to isolating the error I would presume.

• gilfer
    gilfer
    Community Member
    Options

Exactly the same problem here. I'm using iPhone 5 with iOS7, and iPassword 4.3 (trial version) on OSX Mavericks. Using iCloud to sync. Installed 1Password yesterday on my laptop and iPhone.

Three times today I've encountered the "Error 1Password will no longer sync because no sync source was found for profile" error. The steps Megan outlined above to stop syncing, reset, restart and setup sync again resolve the problem but only temporarily. I'm really impressed with everything else about 1Password but very reluctant to purchase if syncing is going to require constant resetting in this way.

• @gilfer‌ We are working to get this issue resolved for 1Password 4.5.2. I would like you to try the following steps on your iPhone, assuming that you don't have any data on your phone that you don't have on your Mac.

These steps will wipe your 1Password data from your phone

1. Unlock 1Password on your iPhone.
    2. Tap on Settings > Advanced
    3. Tap on Erase Data and confirm that you want to do so.
    4. When finished, and you've tapped OK on the alert that appears 1Password will quit.
    5. Launch 1Password again and set up syncing via iCloud using the steps found here: http://www.manula.com/manuals/agilebits/1password-4-for-ios/4/en/topic/existing-1password-user-setup

I'm sorry that you're running into the problem, and hopefully these steps provide a more stable solution for you.

• codyfrisch
    codyfrisch
    Community Member
    Options

So far so good after following Megan's steps. For me the key was making sure iCloud sync was turned off all around and that the devices blocked 1Password from iCloud then delete data, then reset the 1Password (erase data) on iPhone and then reenable Mac sync and then enable iPhone sync to iCloud.

That seems to have it resolved for me.

• Jasper
    Options

Glad to hear that helped, @codyfrisch‌! On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. :)

This discussion has been closed.