Multiple Vaults - how do they work?

Options
t2clej
t2clej
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

I have PRIMARY vault with password1 and just setup another vault called WORK with password2. When I unlock the PRIMARY, it unlocks BOTH vaults (in other words, I don't need password2 to unlock work). It does not however work the other way. If I unlock WORK, it does not unlock PRIMARY.

Is this the way it is supposed to work. I think I would like ALL vaults to be separate and equal with individual passwords to open each vault. Maybe its designed like this so one master password opens any and all vaults. If so, how do I assign or determine which vault is the MASTER?

Thanks.

Comments

• mnot
    mnot
    Community Member
    Options

I'd like to keep some of my passwords and other things (e.g., identity details) in "deep storage" -- using a separate password and stored separately -- so that if my "main" 1password is compromised (e.g., with a key logger), there's less opportunity for these less-often-used credentials to be compromised.

Intuitively, it seems like this is what Vaults are for. So, I created a secondary Vault and moved these credentials over there.

However, when I unlock my "primary" 1password, it also unlocks the other Vault -- even though it has a separate password?!? As such, they're not very useful to me (since my whole use case is for it NOT to be accessible with the primary password).

How does that work? I don't see much information about Vaults behind some vague marketing at "separating your details." What are the security features / characteristics of vaults?

Thanks,

• FreemanD
    FreemanD
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• FreemanD
    FreemanD
    Community Member
    Options

+1

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @t2clej and @mnot and @FreemanD‌ ,

I apologize for the confusion here. 1Password's multiple vaults were designed to ensure that you did not have to remember a different Master Password for each of your individual vaults. The encryption keys for all secondary vaults are stored within the primary vault so that you do only need to remember your one Master Password. :) This means that when you enter in your Master Password, you are granted access to your entire database, which is simply organized into separate vaults.

If you would like to only unlock a secondary vault, you can do so by using the 1Password > Switch to Vault menu when 1Password is locked.

This makes vaults a great way to share just some of your information with family or co-workers, while keeping your personal details private. In previous versions of 1Password, if you wanted to share data with someone, the only choice was to share your entire 1Password.agilekeychain. Now you can create a family.agilekeychain and a work.agilekeychain (for example) to share only the data that needs to be share.

I hope this helps to explain vaults a bit more, but we're here if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.