1Password stopped syncing on 1 device a month ago, how do it fix it safely?

Options
danabel
danabel
Community Member

So it seems that at the end of February 1password decided to stop syncing my laptop to dropbox. No warnings, no errors.

I've just realised it has missing passwords and noticed that it decided to disconnect itself. Contrary to other threads, this isn't a feature, people.

So I have most of my passwords on dropbox, synced to my desktop, and I have some passwords on my laptop, in some random vault that it must have configured on an update.

How do I merge these vaults? The options i tried just look like they are going to wipe out the current dropbox vault, rather than merge them.

(a) help I'm stuck, how do I fix it.
(b) please don't do this again.

Comments

• danabel
    danabel
    Community Member
    Options

Oh it seems that it stopped syncing on my desktop also. WTF?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @danabel‌

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we experienced a surge in support requests recently. We're doing the best we can to get back to our usual speedy replies as soon as possible.

I'm so sorry to hear you've been having trouble with 1Password lately. There was an issue in 4.1 where 1Password could lose permission to sync when the computer was restarted. This issue was resolved in 4.1.2, but it did require users to re-enable sync.

To get everything back on track, we do want to remove the keychain data in Dropbox and allow 1Password to create a fresh one, and then merge it with your other computer. Try this:

• On your iOS devices (if you have any), open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Macs, go to File > Backup and run a fresh backup, just in case.

• On the Macs, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Macs and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the first Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• On the second Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select the 1Password.agilekeychain inside the '1Password' folder. Do not select the folder itself.

• 1Password will offer to merge the existing data. Confirm.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

Please note that if you have made changes to the same item on both your desktop and your laptop, you may have some conflicts to clean up if 1Password is unable to determine which information is newer. Try creating a Smart Folder using the 'Conflict Fields are present' option to easily locate any entries that have conflicts in them.

I hope this helps get you all sorted out, but we're here if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.