"error connecting to 1password mini" [Resolved now, OS X issue]

Options
Wolfgang14
Wolfgang14
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

Hello,

I installed 1Password 4 one week ago and also installed 1PW mini.

System:
MacBook Pro
OSX 10.9.2

When I tried to start 1Password today I got the error message "error connecting 1Password to 1Password mini" (translation from German error message) and the software didn't start. I was advised to restart 1Password (unfortunatley no change) or contact the agilebits support...

1Password mini seems to have vanished from my mac - at least it is not displayed in the header bar anymore.
I tried to uninstall and re-install 1Passwort (using app cleaner, emptying the trash bin and restarting the mac) but the error remains the same.

Can you please give me a hint what to do?

Thanks
Wolfgang

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

It's not a very good idea to use an app cleaner when you uninstall 1P4 because they do tend to sweep away your data as well. I hope you haven't lost the data! If you really want to start over there is a knowledge base article here which tells you how to do it.

As to the error you had there are different problems which have been reported as producing that symptom:

Tightening security in the OS X keychain (post #5 in this thread)

Having more than one version of 1P4 running concurrently on your machine (this thread)

(Possibly) failure to restart your machine after an update (this thread)

Not having 1P4 in your Applications folder (this thread)

I hope at least some this helps! If you're still stuck do please post back and someone will help.

Stephen

• Wolfgang14
    Wolfgang14
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi Stephen,

thank you very much for your comment and the suggestions!
    As I hadn't entered passwords yet nothing was lost. But I will keep that in mind for future occasions.

I tried all of the possible solutions you mentioned - unfortunately nothing helped and I still can't start the program.
    Maybe I should add that I installed 1Password 4 from the Agile webseite as part of a mac/windows license and not through the App Store.

Are there maybe other solutions?

Thanks
    Wolfgang

• Wolfgang14
    Wolfgang14
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all,

I reinstalled OSX and now I can open 1Password 4.
    Although I still don't know why the error occured it now works.

Best regards and thanks to Stephen for his help
    Wolfgang

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Am so glad you're back up and running Wolfgang—even if nothing I suggested actually helped! :(

Stephen

This discussion has been closed.