Feature idea: auto-add 1Password to Software list, and…

Options
stevenjklein
stevenjklein
Community Member

I use 1Password for Mac, Windows, and iOS.

This suggestion applies to both the Windows and Mac versions (except the Mac App Store version).

I recently had to reinstall Windows, and all my Windows apps, including 1Password. It was then that I realized that I had never entered my 1Password license key into the built-in list of Software licenses. (Ironic, huh?)

That's when I had a great idea for two related features:

• When a user enters a license key for 1Password, automatically add that to the Software category, and
  • When running 1Password in Demo mode, check to see if a license key for 1Password already exists in the keychain.

Remember that even registered users, when they first download the app, will be running in Demo mode. I use DropBox synching, but even if I had entered my license key, it wouldn't have helped because the Software category isn't accessible in Demo mode! That's why auto-detecting license keys would be so useful.

More irony: When re-installing an app, you can look up the license key in 1Password. Unless the app you need to reinstall is actually 1Password!

Regarding the first suggestion: You may be tempted to ask users, "Do you want to add this to your software category?" Don't ask, just do! Remember, if they're new users who have been running in Demo mode, they have no experience with the software category, so the question "Do you want to add…" might be confusing to them. If they don't want it, they can always manually delete it. (But perhaps you should prevent deleting that item, or at least prompt them with a warning, "Are you sure…")

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hi @stevenjklein‌,

Thanks for the awesome feature suggestion! I agree - this would make a lot of sense! I have noted down your request!

This discussion has been closed.