PLEASE bring back the Folder column for Macs [considering for a future update, no ETAs]

DingoBlue
DingoBlue
Community Member
edited June 2015 in Mac

Some time ago many of us requested the ability to view the details of which folders items were stored in. The perfect way (I think) would be to have a sortable column as part of the normal view which shows the folder in which the item resides.

This feature was in 1PW3 and is available in the Windows version of 1PW4 via the All Items option. The feature is obviously useful (and available) to Windows users, why is this not also true for Mac users?

Requests that I can quickly find are (forum name - date - Agilbits response):

ItsWilder - 26 Aug 2013 - We do plan to fix this to showcase which folder the item belongs to. I don't have a timeframe on this but we'll get it done as soon as we can.

Locker - 14 Mar 2014 - it doesn't exist yet, we're going to implement it soon in a future update to 1Password 4 along with the ability to customize your columns view.

DingoBlue - 14 Mar 2014 - Thanks for letting us know that you are interested in a feature like this

Supported by (Forum name of people that supported a request)
krgraham

I am sure I could find more requests/supporters if I trawled the forum for a while.

Please implement this feature for us Mac users - I know some of us miss it.

Regards

Comments

• desertman
    desertman
    Community Member

I second that very strongly. I actually cannot believe that 1Password 4 was ever released without this feature.

• desertman
    desertman
    Community Member

Another feature that was present in 1Password 3 and is missing now is the possibility to see items that are not assigned to any folder. This would be, of course, included in having a folders column in the All Items view. I have hundreds of items in 1Password and some of them are not assigned to any folder. How will I ever be able to find out which items are "orphans" without the folder column?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

As to finding orphans from folders, in 1P4 4.4 I see, under search options, Folder is... As I have no folders in use (save for smart folders) I can't check it but what happens when the third field appears and you leave it blank? Does that not give you items not included in any folder?

Stephen

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member

I miss this facility a lot. please restore it.

• desertman
    desertman
    Community Member
    edited May 2014

"As to finding orphans from folders, in 1P4 4.4 I see, under search options, Folder is..."

Thanks for the tip. This does indeed work and I could eliminate all my "folder orphans". It is even possible to save the search as Smart Folder and by this see all the time whether there are any items without folder association.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Oh, I'm glad that worked for you @desertman‌.

Stephen

• DingoBlue
    DingoBlue
    Community Member

That's very useful Stephen_C and thank you, I didn't realize that feature was there. I do however think that it is only a work-around and is not a substitute for being able to deal with folders in the "front end". For example, how do you find which folder is holding a particular item?.

Additionally, the search option does not always correctly reflect the folder/subfolder relationships and content.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I agree completely it would be good to have a way to identify the folder in which an item is located.

Stephen

• Hi guys,

@DingoBlue‌,

I do however think that it is only a work-around and is not a substitute for being able to deal with folders in the "front end".

Absolutely, this isn't a solution at all. As you correctly point out in the first post here, we have many plans to improve the Folders experience in the Mac app, and I know we've been saying this since August last year when we started the open beta project for 1Password 4 for Mac. We will make it happen, we just have many areas that we want to focus on. Right now, it's Watchtower as that is more important to have out now but we'll focus soon on the lack of folder support in the details view and the Top View layout.

• DingoBlue
    DingoBlue
    Community Member

Hi MikeT,
    Thank you for your support. As you point out, this has been on the back burner since the demise of 1PW3 - almost 9 months now. Can I (we?) please ask for your help is escalating it back into the Mac product as soon as is practically possible.
    Regards

• Hi @DingoBlue and all,

Thanks for following up on this and letting us know that it is important to you. While we can't make any promises about a timeline, we have nudged our developers on this again.

In the meantime, if there is anything else we can help with, please let us know.

• GeniusRedacted
    GeniusRedacted
    Community Member

Sortable columns view (aka "traditional layout") - YES!

And the ability to select which columns are viewable! And more column options.

All this just like the venerable 1Password3… please!

• Jasper
    edited May 2014

Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated! I'll pass it along to the developers. :)

• JimH
    JimH
    Community Member

I strongly endorse Genius Redacted's comments. ASAP.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Your endorsement has been strongly noted, @JimH - thanks! :)

• DingoBlue
    DingoBlue
    Community Member

Begging letter....... will "Folder columns for Mac" make it in 4.5?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014

Hi @DingoBlue,

Unfortunately, I can't spill any details on future releases. But I'm happy to remind our developers that you're keen on seeing this option as soon as possible. ;)

ref: OPM-1153

• DingoBlue
    DingoBlue
    Community Member

Well you can imagine my disappointment and the disappointment of the other people who sent up a flare in this thread - I am sure we ALL thought there would be "folders" in the version 5 release. We had hoped to see it in version 4 but many iterations of 4 came and went and still nothing.
    Megan says "Unfortunately, I can't spill any details on future releases" .... doesn't seems like there was much to spill in this regard!
    Why has this been a consistent feature for Windows users while Mac users have not had access to this functionality since version 3? Instead of saying "it's planned...I can't spill the details....I have mentioned it to the developers (again)....etc.", how about telling us when it is going to happen and just getting the job done?

• MikeT
    edited October 2014

Hi @DingoBlue,

Well you can imagine my disappointment and the disappointment of the other people who sent up a flare in this thread - I am sure we ALL thought there would be "folders" in the version 5 release.

I'm sorry you're disappointed. We never said it was going to be in 1Password 5 and this is actually why we do not release details on anything until it is ready.

how about telling us when it is going to happen and just getting the job done?

For the same reason you're disappointed right now, we do not release any details until it is ready to go. Things change all the time in software development especially when there are many variables we cannot control and we have to prioritize other things first before we can finish other areas of improvements.

This is still a major open bug in our tracker and we will fix this but I cannot give you any timeframes because we simply don't have one.

Bug ID #: OPM-1288

• DingoBlue
    DingoBlue
    Community Member

Please keep this update to handle folders in the Mac version in the melting pot - I really miss this feature.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DingoBlue ,

Thanks for checking in on us! I don't have an update for you at this time, but it's great to know that you're interested in seeing this. :)

• devnull000
    devnull000
    Community Member

Please bring back the folder column. I really relied on it. It looks like it has been requested a while back, I just wanted to add my voice to the request for this missing feature. Thanks.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for adding your feedback, @devnull000! We're sorry you're missing this feature, and we appreciate you letting us know. No updates about this feature are available at this time unfortunately, but we are most definitely listening! :+1:

• ezaneateesd_net
    ezaneateesd_net
    Community Member

I want to register my vote too. "The perfect way (I think) would be to have a sortable column as part of the normal view which shows the folder in which the item resides." A sortable "Folder" column, including seeing items not in a folder, was a daily part of my 1Password usage until I just upgraded. Thanks for listening.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

We're listening and counting your vote, @ezaneateesd_net. Cheers!

• DingoBlue
    DingoBlue
    Community Member

Thank you for including the folder name in the latest release of 1Password.
    I would still request that we have a sort-able "folder" column. The folder content is OK on the detail of an item but from a vault management perspective, next to useless.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of our developers, you're very welcome! :) I can certainly let them know you'd still prefer a column specifically for the folder.

• DingoBlue
    DingoBlue
    Community Member

WIth reference to your comment in Agilebits Release Notes:

6.5.BETA-6 (build #650006) - Released 2016-06-28 - download

Today we are smoothing some rough edges for you in the latest 1Password for Mac beta! All of these fixes and improvements are based entirely on user suggestions and bug reports so keep sending those in!

I again ask for a sortable Folder column. Please.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, whenever possible, we try to prioritize fixes, improvements, and new features by popular request. Perhaps in the future we'll add more sorting options, but I don't want to get your hopes up: there doesn't seem to be a lot of demand for "top view" stuff, as those of us who like that UI are pretty squarely in the minority. But you never know! :)

This discussion has been closed.