Multiple 1PasswordAnywhere files

Options
pwrmacbob
pwrmacbob
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

I read your post about 1Password Anywhere (that it should work now). My problem is I went to use it today and there are 14 1Password.html files (1Password(1), 1Password(2), etc). The latest one is dated 07/10/2013, which is the one I used (1Password.html). I have updated many passwords since July of last year and of course the one I wanted to use was not correct in the html file. A few questions. Why are there so many? Can I delete the old ones...or all of them? Should there be an updated one after I create/update a password? If there was one wrong password, how can I trust that all my other passwords are correct? I am using the latest version for the Mac, iPhone and iPad. I use Dropbox for sycing.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

If I were in your shoes and were sure that my Mac had the right data, I would go to preferences and in the Sync tab pick the option to change sync options. You will be asked if you want to delete your data on Dropbox. Again, if I were doing this, I would answer Yes. And then, after Dropbox caught up, I would go to my local Dropbox folder in the Finder and delete any leftovers, such as a now-empty 1Password folder.

Before I did this, I would also disable syncing in any connected iOS devices.

Once that's done, I would return to the Sync preference and pick Dropbox from the list of three sync options. When asked where I want the new keychain to be created, I would use the menu to navigate to my local Dropbox folder and choose it. A new keychain will be created in a new 1Password folder. Now wait until Dropbox completes syncing, which will take a few minutes. Then and only then, I would turn on syncing again in any iOS devices, one by one, waiting for each to sync fully before turning syncing back on in the next device.

If you are not confident that your Mac has an authoritative copy of your data, I would ignore everything I just said and await the appearance of an AgileBits support guru. Bit if you are confident, I'm sure this will fix things up.

By the way, the date on the keychain doesn't change because it really is a folder with several embedded files. The folder itself does not redate each time a new change is made within it. But if you can't find a record in 1PasswordAnywhere that is on your Mac, something is definitely wrong with your Dropbox syncing.

• pwrmacbob
    pwrmacbob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your advice. I'm going to see if an AgileBits guru stops by. If not I may give your solution a try.

• joolino
    joolino
    Community Member
    Options

Being new user and not completely comfortable with how it all works. This makes me even more uncomfortable. Such process for a thing that is supposed to make our lives simpler.

• pwrmacbob
    pwrmacbob
    Community Member
    Options

Another thing I've noticed. I have updated two credit cards with new verification numbers and expiration dates I did this with 1Password on the Mac. When I go to my iPad or iPhone it doesn't update the fields, it adds additional fields. So now I have both the old and new verification and expiration dates.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Another thing I've noticed. I have updated two credit cards with new verification numbers and expiration dates I did this with 1Password on the >Mac. When I go to my iPad or iPhone it doesn't update the fields, it adds additional fields. So now I have both the old and new verification and >expiration dates.

I have experienced this, and think it may be related to the merging problem which iOS version 4.5.1 solved. Are you on iOS version 4.5.1?

I do not have your original problem, and 1P Anywhere is working correctly for me now.

• blakek96
    blakek96
    Community Member
    Options

I don't think it is truly fixed. At least I can't seem to get it working. I am using the Apple Store version of 4.4 for OSX and version 4.5.1 for the iPhone. I am trying to use 1Password Anywhere on an Ubuntu 14.04 box using bothe Firefox 29.0 and Chrome. I also tried to access the Anywhere page directly on my Mac and it still gave the "A problem occurred when loading the "file:///home/xxx/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionKeys.js" file." error. However, if I go to the dropbox website and open the 1Password.html file there it works. Can someone from Agilebits confirm that you really have it working?

• pwrmacbob
    pwrmacbob
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I'm a little disappointed that no one from AgileBits hasn't responded yet.

• Jasper
    edited May 2014
    Options

My problem is I went to use it today and there are 14 1Password.html files (1Password(1), 1Password(2), etc). The latest one is dated 07/10/2013, which is the one I used (1Password.html). I have updated many passwords since July of last year and of course the one I wanted to use was not correct in the html file. A few questions. Why are there so many? Can I delete the old ones...or all of them?

Yep, go ahead and delete them all. A new one will be automatically re-generated when you sync.

The 1Password.html file simply contains the 1PasswordAnywhere code. None of your data is stored in the HTML file.

I also tried to access the Anywhere page directly on my Mac and it still gave the "A problem occurred when loading the "file:///home/xxx/Dropbox/1Password.agilekeychain/data/default/encryptionKeys.js" file." error. However, if I go to the dropbox website and open the 1Password.html file there it works. Can someone from Agilebits confirm that you really have it working?

Browsers prevent the loading of some files from the local file system. If you access 1PasswordAnywhere locally rather than online through Dropbox, you will run into this trouble.

If you are using Safari, you can disable local file restrictions:

• Open Safari
    • Click Safari > Preferences... in the menu bar
    • Go to the Advanced tab
    • Ensure Show Develop menu in menu bar is checked
    • Click Develop in the menu bar, then Disable Local File Restrictions
This discussion has been closed.