1Password 4 made me markedly less secure, and has a worse UI

Options
adamlang
adamlang
Community Member

I just updated to 1Password Mac v4, from 3. In 3, I would mostly leave 1Password locked: I only use it for the passwords that I want to keep most secure (and therefore don't store in my iCloud account) and the ones that require a multi-stage login. (Because using 1Password on iOS is soooo painful.)

In 1Password 3, the first time I logged into a site, it would put up a little extra bar in Safari just above the tab bar asking me to log in, and I could ignore that and it wouldn't bother me again. In 1Password 4, this workflow means that every time I log into a site, I am promoted for my password and have to click 'cancel' to continue. Given that I log into sites as part of my job upwards of 60 times a day on a couple of different computers, and log into several in my off hours as well, this is simply not an option.

What I ended up having to do to fix this is to have 1Password 4 only lock after 90 minutes of inactivity, and just depend on my screen locking to protect it. Is there a better alternative? Clearly having 1Password unlocked all the time, and accessible anytime my computer is awake, is dramatically less secure than leaving it locked except when I actually need it. (I would also be okay with something that didn't try to save a password unless I told it to... maybe it saves the last username/password combo that it records for 60 seconds, and then if you click the iPassword Mini menu there's an option to 'save password' after you authenticate.)

The loss of the 'fill in this password' from the right-click menu is also a surprisingly large loss for usability... even when I am intending to use 1Password, you've doubled the number of clicks it requires, and multiplied mouse movement by a large factor, and changed the size of the mouse target significantly as well.

Am I the only one who finds 1Password 4 a downgrade?

Comments

• Kobes
    Kobes
    Community Member
    Options

Since I am not from Agilebits, I cannot solve everything, but can try to answer your question. You are probably not the only one who thinks 1P4 is a downgrade, but many people (including me) will I think 1P 4 is a big improvement. I primarily like the way updating passwords is greatly improved. I have always found it a pain to update stuff in 1P3.
    But your concerns are real I think.

However, I think your last comment, about the number of clicks could be easily solved by htting cmd+\, that will bring up mini (and it knows what site you are on, as long as the browser is the window with focus) and can fill out whatever you like.

• roustem
    Options

@adamlang My workflow is quite a bit different. I usually never login to any website without 1Password. That requires 1Password to be unlocked as long as I am using my Mac. My auto-lock timeout is set to 20 min, this allows me to get a coffee or read an article without the need to unlock 1Password after that.

The 90 minutes that you currently use seems a bit too much. It would require you to not use keyboard or trackpad on your Mac for 90 minutes in order for 1Password to lock.

Since you are do not want the auto-save to happen automatically, you could try to disable the "1Password > Preferences > Browser > Automatically ask to save new Logins" option. Hopefully that would help to keep your existing workflow with 1Password 4.

This discussion has been closed.