Sync problem with custom-named primary keychain

Options
McFly
McFly
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

Okay, I have run into situations I can't seem to find solutions to. It all started because the new iOS app won't support custom agilekeychain names. Up to this point I have been syncing using Dropbox between the following devices: two Mac OS X 10.9.2 computers with the latest 1Password 4 updates, one Mac OS X 10.7.5 with 1Password 3.8.21, and two iPhone 5 phones with the latest iOS version.

Needless to say this problem all started when the newest iOS version stopped supporting my custom named agilekeychain file. I now have one of the computers with the latest 1Password 4 where I want it. The question is, what are the proper steps to fully reset all the other computers and phones and then use the "master" computer to add the agilekeychain to Dropbox, then finally to get the file from Dropbox syncing with the iOS devices and the new 1Password 4 and older version of 1Password 3?

The troubles I am running into now are:
1. How to clear out the data from the second 1Password 4 computer so I can start fresh with the Dropbox data file? So far just restarting the sync has made the contents.js constantly update when the second 1Password 4 computer is set up to sync?
2. How do I make sure the Mac OS X 10.7.5 with 1Password 3.8.21 computer has access to the agilekeychain without corrupting it or thinking it needs to convert it to 1Password 3 data file version?
3. On the iOS front I have figured out how to purge all the data from the app and restart the sync so that it re-downloads the data. Is this the correct way to do this?

Thank you in advance for your assistance! I am getting a little frustrated with this since everything was working just fine before the latest iOS update and now nothing is syncing at all!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @McFly,

I sincerely apologize for the trouble here, I can see how this might be a bit frustrating. Let's reset sync to get things up and running.

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac running 1Password 3, quit 1Password 3.

• On the Macs, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Macs and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the master Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• On the Mac running 1Password 4, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to the 1Password.agilekeychain inside Dropbox. Click this file (and not the folder that it is in.) You'll see a message that the keychain data will be merged into your current vault. Confirm this.

• On the Mac running 1Password 3, open a Finder window to Dropbox. Find the 1Password.agilekeychain and double-click it to open this datafile in 1Password 3.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync.

This should get you all sorted out, but if you hit any snags in the process, please let me know and we'll work through it!

This discussion has been closed.