How to switch from Syncing via Dropbox to Syncing via iCloud

Options
BikerBob
BikerBob
Community Member

I see that Dropbox was susceptible to Heartbleed whereas iCloud was not.

Gear: New MB Pro and a 5-year old iMac running Mavericks and 1Password 4.3. One iPhone 5 and one iPad Mini running 1Password for iOS.

Would someone tell me if the the order in which I make the changeover from Dropbox syncing to iCloud syncing important?

E.g., turn off Dropbox sync in each of the computers and devices one by one then, for example, starting with the iMac, turn on Cloud syncing and then turn on iCloud syncing on the MB Pro, then iPhone, then iPad?

I understand that I must have Documents and Data turned on in iCloud in both computers and each of my iOS devices.

Many thanks.

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

E.g., turn off Dropbox sync in each of the computers and devices one by one then, for example, starting with the iMac, turn on Cloud syncing and then turn on iCloud syncing on the MB Pro, then iPhone, then iPad?

Yes, that's the right approach. The only thing I would add is to allow about 20 minutes after you activate iCloud syncing on the iMac to allow the data to move fully to iCloud. It probably doesn't require all that time, but it's hard to tell for sure, and Apple provides no tools to monitor progress.

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you hawkmoth. I will follow your instructions and report back with how it all goes.

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

Well, things are not going well with my shift from syncing over Dropbox to syncing over iCloud.

On my iMac, I shut off sync by Dropbox.

On my MB Pro, I did likewise.

I could find no setting in 1P on my iPhone or iPad to turn off syncing by Dropbox, so I left these settings alone.

Two hours after turning off sync by Dropbox on my iMac, I turned on sync by iCloud, and I did the same thing on my MB Pro.

This morning, 12 hours later here are my results:

A Notifications alert on my MB pro: "1Password Sync. Problems detected. Update preferences." When I went to 1Password preferences and again turned on Sync by iCloud, I got the notification: "1Password found existing data in iCloud. It will be merged with your current vault." However, this problem seems to have resolved itself because when I just opened 1Password, an hour later, I note that Sync says data was synced three seconds ago.

On the iPhone, when I launched 1Password this a.m., I immediately got an alert: Error. 1Password will no longer sync because remote vault has been replaced." When I go to Sync > Start Syncing > Sync with iCloud, the alert said "1Password found existing data in iCloud. It will be merged with the primary vault." Then it also returned: Last Sync 3 seconds ago.

So, it looks like it's fixing itself, so to speak, but I was hopeful that it would have gone a bit more seamlessly than it has.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

There is an option in the new iOS release to turn off syncing altogether. That's how to stop syncing with any particular sync service. At this point I'd leave things alone until you can get some expert help. I'm sure an AgileBits support person will come along soon.

I think you'll be OK, even if you find problem in your data. Your Mac has been creating local backups that should get your data straightened out.

• Meek
    Options

Hi @BikerBob‌,

I'm sorry to hear that the migration from Dropbox to iCloud didn't go overly smoothly! Is everything working properly now? If not, could you please send us a Diagnostics Report? We'll see what is going on and get everything stringed out.

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :grinning:

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• BikerBob
    BikerBob
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Meek.

I have, I think, a healthy level of paranoia when it comes to computer security. With computers and the internet it seems that things are safe...until they are not.

Who would have predicted Heartbleed?

Who would have expected that the NSA would be vacuuming up emails from your computer.

I now have 1Pwd on my iMac, my MB Pro, my iPhone and my iPad and I no longer put my .agilekeychain file on any site.

Dropbox was my preferred method of syncing 1Pwd between computers and devices and then after Heartbleed, the suggestion was to change your password, so I presume Dropbox was using OpenSSL and was not secure.

I shifted to iCloud because none of the Apple sites were susceptible to Heartbleed only to read that numerous security experts remain skeptical of the methods that Apple uses to keep these sites secure.

So I switched to WiFi sync for syncing my iPhone and iPad with my iMac and on my iMac and my MB Pro I sync to a folder on each computer.

When I change a password or add a password to 1Pwd on my iMac, I securely email the data from the copy of 1Pwd on the iMac to the coy of 1Pwd on my MB Pro.

It is mildly less convenient but (dare I say?) 100 more secure.

• Meek
    Options

Hi @BikerBob,

Thanks for the update! We strongly believe that you should always be in control of your data and have the choice of which services you wish to trust. I'm glad to hear that you found a solution that will work for you and that you are comfortable using.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

This discussion has been closed.