No backup notifications after upgrading to 4.2.1 [intended behavior]

Options
ag1pwun
ag1pwun
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

Auto backups are made but the notification is not added to Mavericks (10.9.2) notification list as was the case prior to upgrade. No notification on either auto or manual backup. Notification settings were not changed and appear to be correct.

Comments

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    Options

The backup window indicates that "up to 30 most recent backups will be kept". I now have 33 backup files, with 5 backups done since upgrading to 4.2.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ag1pwun,

Thanks for taking the time to write in! First of all, please don't be worried about the lack of notification here. This was an improvement made to 1Password after listening to user feedback. Many felt it was unnecessary to see successful notifications. From now on, 1Password will only notify you if a backup fails.

As far as the number of backups goes, we're noticing here as well that 1Password isn't quite as quick to clean up those extra backups as it should be. We're investigating this issue, and we'll do our best to have it working properly again soon!

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention, please do let us know if you have any further questions. :)

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Thanks for your response. I am surprised about the notification change. I didn't see the change in the log so I reported as a possible bug. I guess I'm in the minority that would prefer the notification, which is reassuring and alleviates the need to check manually. A checkbox in the Backup preference window would be nice but I can live with the change.

Let me know if I can help diagnose the backup file cleanup issue.

Steve

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @ag1pwun,

Thank you for pointing out that removal of notifications for successful 1Password backups isn't mentioned in 1Password 4 for Mac Release Notes. I'll see about getting it included there.

It is possible those notifications will be reintroduced to Notification Center in a future update, perhaps with others added. :)

Has your system been restarted since the initial 4.2 update? You might give that a try, but first try restarting 1Password mini to see if that fixes the problem with automatic backups piling up without the oldest ones being automatically deleted. Thanks for the offer to help further diagnose this issue.

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    Options

sjk,

I shut down my computer each night. This morning I had 34 backup files before an auto backup was done, the first since 3/14 @ 4:12 p.m. After this morning's backup I'm back down to 30 files. The oldest 5 files were deleted. So looks like we're back on track.

Steve

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great it's working again, Steve ( @ag1pwun ). Thanks for the followup.

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    Options

Well I'm back up to 34 backup files today. I've done seven backups since posting my last message here, most of them launched manually after making changes. I'll watch for an auto backup to see if that's what is reducing the set back down to 30.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I think this makes sense now, Steve ( @ag1pwun ).

Manually creating a backup won't remove any previous ones; automatically creating one will also trim them back to the 30 most recent.

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    Options

OK, that does appear to be what's happening. Thanks for the explanation.

Steve

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, Steve.

Earlier I manually created a few extra backups so they're be over 30. If the count doesn't drop back down to 30 after the next auto-backup I'll look into why the auto-removal part didn't work as intended.

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

sjk: "It is possible those notifications will be reintroduced to Notification Center in a future update, perhaps with others added.".

I'd just like to repeat my request to reestablish the backup notifications. Having them optional would, I think, satisfy all users. Thanks.

• Jasper
    Options

Thanks for the feedback!

• ronen
    ronen
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

It seems that there isn't any Backup notifications in OS X 10.9.2 since last 1P
    update to Version 4.4 (440001) Or maybe I'm mistake ?...
    I didn't change any preferences from previous ver .
    The Backup is ok , only no notification ...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ronen,

Notifications of successfully 1Password backups have been removed. There's more about it in this topic where I've merged yours. :)

This discussion has been closed.