Multiple mac iCloud sync

Options
Kenneth Ulmer
Kenneth Ulmer
Community Member

Hello.

I am trying to switch from Dropbox based Sync to iCloud based.

I have two macs and two iOS devices.

I did the following:

• On the first mac I turned off Dropbox sync, then enabled it for iCloud.
  • On my iOS devices I turned off Dropbox sync, then I went into advanced and pressed "delete data". After that I enabled iCloud sync and it pulled the data and everything was glorious.

Now I want to enable iCloud for the last mac. I just don't know how. At first I figured the process was similar to iOS but I could not delete my vault. I deleted everything imaginable - yes the .agilekeychain file too. I ran the uninstaller program. Everything! When I open 1Password I can still unlock my vault, with data in it.

Okay new plan then. I deleted all items within my vault manually and with a shake in my hand I pressed "Sync with iCloud" in the hope that it would detect the already present 1password database and use that. As expected though it just uploaded an empty vault to iCloud. It seems it creates a separate one password folder in the iCloud folder. At least I have two:

2BUA8C4S2C~2BUA8C4S2C~com~agilebits~onepassword-osx-helper (just the documents folder, completely empty)
2BUA8C4S2C~com~agilebits~onepassword (around 2.2 MB of data in a subfolder onepassword_data and an empty documents folder)

At this point I have no clue whatsoever as what to do. I imagined that it would detect my vault in iCloud and simply ask to use this.

Can someone please tell me the proper way to get a second mac to sync up with an existing vault within iCloud?

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Kenneth,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting 1Password set up here! Please ensure that the second Mac is signed in to the same iCloud account and that Documents and Data is enabled. Once you've confirmed that you are signed in to the right account everywhere, let's just reset sync across the board to see if that kickstarts things:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle iCloud to OFF.

• On both Macs, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Macs and your iOS devices.

• On the first Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and your second Mac and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

Please let me know how this works!

• cocoyun
    cocoyun
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I've been having sync issues with 1Password for Mac (laptop, desktop) and iOS 7 (iPhone, iPad) — all operating software is current.

Here is what I did and I hope someone can help me with clear, easy to follow instructions.

First, I want to set this up:

I noticed that my laptop data within 1Password is the most current after realizing that my desktop didn't have one login information I needed so, I started to double check. Maybe ignorance is bliss because after that everything started to go downhill.

Once I started to quit, restart, etc. I got a notice to update 1Password which I eventually was able to do so (now on v.4.2.1) but I got some alert that it wasn't syncing to Dropbox so that's when I really started to notice sync issues.

Thinking I could resolve this with switching from Dropbox to iCloud sync, I followed instructions via the support forums and everything seemed fine but no such luck.

To change from Dropbox to iCloud I did the following:

1. Turned off sync for iPad, iPhone and my desktop.
    2. Made a manual backup from my laptop (since it has the most current data)
    3. Switched sync on my laptop to iCloud from Dropbox

Everything seemed to be fine but I'm still having the same data inconsistency issues. (argh)

So, using this thread, I started to follow but got stuck at the second bullet item because I can't change sync on my laptop through 1Password Preferences like I could before. This is the laptop that when 1Password is open has the most recent data so that's cool but what do I do now?

Right now, all sync on my iOS 7 devices have been turned off.

The sync on my mac remains as follows: 1Password > Preferences > Syncing with iCloud (with this computer [desktop]) I can select "Change Syncing" but now I'm afraid to do anything.

More notes:

• I would like to keep the sync with iCloud.
    • All devices including the desktop are logged into the same iCloud account

I hope I've provided enough information.
    Any brilliant ideas? This is incredibly frustrating.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cocoyun,

I'm really sorry your switch from Dropbox to iCloud syncing with 1Password hasn't gone smoothly. Thanks for the detailed description of what you've already done so far.

Everything seemed to be fine but I'm still having the same data inconsistency issues. (argh)

Where are you seeing those data inconsistencies? Is syncing still enabled with iCloud on your laptop and disabled everywhere else? You initially:

1. Turned off sync for iPad, iPhone and my desktop.

Then later mentioned:

The sync on my mac remains as follows: 1Password > Preferences > Syncing with iCloud (with this computer [desktop]) I can select "Change Syncing" but now I'm afraid to do anything.

Did you enable iCloud syncing on your desktop at some point in between?

A bit before you said:

Right now, all sync on my iOS 7 devices have been turned off.

Let's first get iCloud sync working properly between your laptop and desktop, then with your iOS devices.

And just before that:

So, using this thread, I started to follow but got stuck at the second bullet item because I can't change sync on my laptop through 1Password Preferences like I could before.

Is there something preventing you from changing syncing there? When you open Preferences > Sync is syncing still enabled, similar to this?

… with the Change Syncing… button?

This is the laptop that when 1Password is open has the most recent data so that's cool but what do I do now?

It sounds like you've got a master copy of all your 1Password data on your laptop, and a backup:

2. Made a manual backup from my laptop (since it has the most current data)

That's excellent. :)

Thanks in advance for answers to the questions to help you get iCloud syncing with 1Password working correctly between all your systems/devices!

• Kenneth Ulmer
    Kenneth Ulmer
    Community Member
    Options

Hi again.

Finally got the time to try out the tips in this thread. Didn't work. Tried to convert back to Dropbox. Didn't work.

Right now my two iOS devices and my work mac is synchronizing with Dropbox. My home mac is acting extremely weird.

Okay, so here is what I did.

• Closed 1P and 1P mini.
    • Deleted ~Library/Containers/ 1P stuff
    • Deleted ~Library/Preferences/ 1P stuff
    • Deleted the 1P stuff in iCloud
    • Removed the agilekeychain in Dropbox
    • Removed the backup files from Dropbox as well
    • Deleted the dropbox cache hidden folder
    • Deleted the app 1Password4
    • Ran the 1PasswordUninstaller app with all options checked
    • Rebooted the computer

I did all the above in one go, then redownloaded the app and opened it. Somehow it still manages to find my old vault in some form. It is definitely not the one in iCloud because that doesn't exist any more, neither is it the one in Dropbox because hey, that doesn't exist either (at least on the local machine).

I can NOT merge with the Dropbox agilekeychain (well it claims it does, but no items appear in my vault), I can not switch vault/user so I figure it's not a problem of multiple vaults/users either, I can not delete my current vault/user.

I am becoming extremely frustrated with the fact that 1Password is this difficult to remove. Why is there no option to just open another vault? Why can I not delete my current vault? Why the hell is it saving a vault some place even more obscure that all the locations above?

• Jasper
    Options

Hi Kenneth,

You can start over with a new vault by following these instructions: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/start-over.html

If you're still having trouble, could you please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this discussion, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

This discussion has been closed.