Wi-Fi sync multiple devices

Radoc
Radoc
Community Member

Not sure where this should go, but since I believe I brought the subject up fairly early in the beta process for the desktop and/or iOS apps, I'll give this a shot.

I need to keep 1PW on three Macs (an iMac, Mac Pro, and MacBook Air) and one iOS device (an iPhone) in sync. Back in version 3, I was generally successful using the iPhone as a bridge - I would sync with the computers round robin and the databases stayed in sync.

After Wi-Fi sync was reintroduced during beta testing, this procedure no longer was reliable. I recall reading a post that said that it would function after the sync mechanism was redesigned, which I assume has happened. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work for me. I can reliably sync my iPhone with my iMac, but syncing to my MBA or Mac Pro is problematic.

For example the other day I synced the iPhone with my Mac Pro and ended with a different number of entries in each database. So I tried deleting all the items from the computer (I wasn't sure the best way to do this, since I couldn't find a way to erase all the data at once). When I synced, both the Mac Pro and iPhone ended up with a small subset of the entire database.

So my question is this: Is the above a supported process for keeping multiple computers in sync? If not, what's the alternative? (I can't use Dropbox on my network at the office.)

Thanks.

Comments

• Good morning, @Radoc‌,

I'm sorry for the trouble that you're having with Wi-Fi sync. My first suggestion before you do anything else would be to restore the data on your Mac Pro using the information here: http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/backup-file-location.html

I will check with the rest of the team and see if using your phone as a syncing bridge is something we recommend.

• Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member

@MrRooni: Thanks for the reply. I suspect that the issue I had was caused by the way I deleted everything in the database on the Mac Pro - I manually trashed everything in the app. After restoring everything on my iPhone, I deleted the database files from the Mac and synced again. This time, everything was correctly copied from the iPhone to the Mac. I'd still like to know if this is a recommended workflow, though.

• Sorry for the delay in response, @Radoc‌. Using your phone as a syncing bridge is definitely supported. Let us know if you run into any more problems with it.

• Radoc
    Radoc
    Community Member

@MrRooni: Thanks, that's good to hear. One addition I'd like to see at some point is a quick way to delete all the data on the Mac, as there is on iOS. An alternative would be an option to perform a unidirectional transfer from iOS to Mac or vice versa (sync vs. replace all data on one device).

• I'll be sure that the Mac team is aware of your request, thanks!

This discussion has been closed.