Item with multiple login information

Options
spheroid
spheroid
Community Member

I've recently started using 1Password and liked it so far. After adding most of my different accounts I felt it was time to organize the information in a better fashion. I have a lot of servers I need to manage and they all have various attributes, including many web-based tools with different credentials.

For example, one server might have an administration console URL with one set of login credentials, SQL server credentials (with URL to web-based management tool), WordPress admin URL hosted on the server and credentials for that.

I created a server item and filled out the information with URL's and everything, but when I go to any of the addresses and attempt to autofill information, 1Password server extension cannot find the server item and the login information. I need to navigate all the way to the correct server, the section in question, copy the password and paste it to the password field. And after I press login, it asks whether I want to store the login information as new set. Update existing cannot be selected. But I don't want to add new login information to 1Password, because that's the reason I created the server item in the first place.

Is there anything I can do? Or should I just create separate login items for all the services and the organize them with folders and/or tags so that one server is actually collection of items.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @spheroid‌

I'm glad to hear that you're liking 1Password so far! I'll do my best to clarify Categories here, it can be a bit tough to get used to at first.

In 1Password, there are 3 categories that have magical browser-filling properties. These categories are:

• Logins
    • Identities
    • Credit Cards

The fields in these categories are specially designed to be filled in form fields on webpages.

All other categories are there simply to provide you options for organizing your digital life (often due to user requests). What this means is that, although the Server category might have username and password fields in it, you cannot fill information directly from this item onto a webform. You'll need to store the username and password in a Login item to have it fill automatically.

I know that for some types of data this might mean that you end up with multiple entries. For example, I have my account information stored in the 'Bank Account' area, my debit and visa details stored as 'Credit Cards' and my username and password for my web-banking stored as a Login. I find this allows me to quickly access what I need: Am I logging in on my bank's website? I need my Login. Am I looking for my bank's transit information? I click on my Bank Accounts. Am I purchasing yet another nerdy t-shirt online? Time to click on the Credit Cards.

1Password does offer custom fields though, so if I really wanted to keep my bank account details stored with my online banking login information, I could create a few custom fields in a separate section for the information within the Login entry.

I hope this helps to explain categories a bit better. Please do let me know if you have any further questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.