Cannot Import from KeePassX [see MrC's KeePassX Converter for 1Password 4]

Options
Justin Morehouse
Justin Morehouse
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

I cannot import from KeePassX. I cannot import a .CSV file as my passwords have commas in them. I tried to import an exported .txt from KeePassX into 1Password3 and it crashes every time I try and import the file. I am stuck with product I paid for with no where to go. Please advise.

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi Justin,

I left a comment over at your other post:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/118223/#Comment_118223

What version of 1P4 do you have?

• Justin Morehouse
    Justin Morehouse
    Community Member
    Options

4.3 build 430017

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I think you might need to use a beta version (4.3.1), since CSV importing was broken in the 4.3 build (I presume you have the app store version).

You should be able to export from KeePassX to and XML format. Can you do that?

If you're willing to install the beta version (at least to import), I'll help you import from the XML file.

• Justin Morehouse
    Justin Morehouse
    Community Member
    Options

That would be awesome, thanks. I am using the agileBits version, not appstore. Where can I get the beta?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Since you're on the AgileBits version, you can go to Preferences > Updates and check Include beta builds. Then Check Now. You should get Version 4.3.1.BETA-3 (431003)

• Justin Morehouse
    Justin Morehouse
    Community Member
    Options

Done

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

OK, great. I presume you've been able to create the XML file via File > Export to > KeePassX XML File.

Since all of KeePassX's entries are essentially Logins, they will all become Login's in 1P4.

Rather than have you go through the process of doing too much manual work, I'm going to create you a script to do the conversion. It will create a CSV which you should be able to import.

I'll be back after dinner and will post it w/instructions.

• Justin Morehouse
    Justin Morehouse
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. What about my passwords with commas in them?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

It doesn't matter. The XML format uses its own delimiters, and knows how to escape characters that conflict with the special markers (same with CSV, by the way).

• Justin Morehouse
    Justin Morehouse
    Community Member
    Options

Ok cool, ty

• Justin Morehouse
    Justin Morehouse
    Community Member
    Options

I used the xml2csv in xmlutils to convert and import. Now I just have a bit of a mess to clean up. Thanks!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Ok, great. So sounds like you're almost done then!

This discussion has been closed.