Keepass to 1Password4 Unable to Import. [Fixed] [see MrC's KeePassX Converter for 1Password 4]

Options
jaymeany
jaymeany
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

The documentation for 1Pass3 http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/import_passwords.html specifically says the product can import from KeepassX. KeepassX only exports to text or a Keepass XML file, neither are formats allowed in the 1Pass4 import dialog.

How do I successfully import years of passwords from Keepass into 1Password4?

Comments

• Jasper
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @jaymeany,

To import your data into 1Password 4, it will need to be in CSV format currently.

If you're not able to export to a CSV file, please install 1Password 3 (which like you mentioned supports Keepass' format) and import your data there (you can then open it in 1Password 4).

If you need any help with this, please let us know! :)

• jaymeany
    jaymeany
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately that is not working. When I try and import the file into 1Pass3, I get this error:

/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/lib/json/pure.rb:17:in rescue in <module:JSON>': uninitialized constant JSON::Iconv (NameError) from /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/lib/json/pure.rb:10:in'
    from /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/lib/json/pure.rb:9:in <top (required)>' from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:inrequire'
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in require' from /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/lib/json.rb:224:in'
    from /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/lib/json.rb:222:in <top (required)>' from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:inrequire'
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in require' from /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/lib/base.rb:2:in'
    from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:in require' from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/2.0/usr/lib/ruby/2.0.0/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:45:inrequire'
    from /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/Import/KeePassX.rb:2:in `

'

OSX 10.9.2 1Pass3.8.21

I'd like to note, I bought the iOS version based on your 1Pass3 documentation. I never imagined you would roll back something as basic as import features, and reduce it to a CSV format. I'm really disappointed and have spent far far far too much time trying to make this work. I'm a UX strategist and Keepass has worked for years. Your product is supposedly better and as of now, I can't say it is. It's prettier but you broke the promise of me being able to transition without undue pain.

• jaymeany
    jaymeany
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Errors in a txt file so they are more easily read. https://app.box.com/s/5dg9dhjbgnq63wbberg1

• Jasper
    Options

Could you please try opening the Terminal app (from /Applications/Utilities) then copy and paste this single line into it:

env PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin '/Applications/1Password 3.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password'

That assumes the 1Password 3 app is in the /Applications folder and named 1Password 3.app. You'll need to adjust that if yours is named differently. This should fix the import scripts for you, and enable you to import your data.

Let me know if that helps! :)

• jaymeany
    jaymeany
    Community Member
    Options

aaaaand that worked.

Thanks

• MikeT
    Options

On behalf of JasperP, you're welcome. Thanks for letting us know it worked!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Although jaymeany is already done, I'd be happy to add new importers to my current ewallet_to_1P4 script, generalizing it to support various export formats. The Keepass 2.x XML format is straightforward, and the CSV format is consistent. I believe KeePassX has the KeePass 1.x XML format.

This discussion has been closed.