KeePass X import [see MrC's KeePassX Converter for 1Password 4]

Options
rusiecki
rusiecki
Community Member
edited May 2014 in Mac

I have problem with import from KeePass X file (.kdb). When I click in File Menu in 1PW then i choose Import I can choose only 3 options of files 1Password interchange format, comma delimited text and LostPass. Is there possibility to import .kdb file?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I believe this is not currently supported but new import options are added from time to time (known issues refers to export/import options being limited to the 1PIF format but in fact the latest versions support the additional formats you mention).

Are you able to export from KeePass in csv format (which is supported by 1P4), by any chance?

Stephen

• Hi @rusiecki,

As Stephen_C suggests, try exporting the data to CSV format and then import it as such in 1Password 4.

We don't support KeePassX format at the moment but we're working on adding more import modules over time.

• philippelyp
    philippelyp
    Community Member
    edited October 2013
    Options

Was that feature removed from 1Password 3? Do you guys have an ETA?

I have hundreds of passwords in KeePass X :(

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @philippelyp.

We currently don't have an ETA to announce for this, generally for reasons like @Megan mentioned:

We try not to comment much on unreleased features or product changes, as there are too many factors that could affect implementation, and we certainly don't want to promise something that we can't deliver on.

• Kyle King
    Kyle King
    Community Member
    Options

This might not be helpful, but here's a ruby script that will take KeePassX's XML export and convert it to CSV:

require 'csv'
     require 'crack'

xml = Crack::XML.parse File.open(ARGV.first) 

xml['database']['group'].each_with_index do |group,i| 
       group['entry'].each_with_index do |entry,j| 
           entry.merge! 'group' => group['title']
           puts entry.keys.to_csv if i.zero? and j.zero?
           puts entry.values.to_csv
        end rescue next 
      end

You run it like this:

$ ruby keepass_to_csv.rb keepass.xml > keepass.csv

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Kyle,

Thanks so much for passing that script along! For anyone exporting from Keepass, or any other password manager, it is important to note that 1Password import does expect the CSV file to be in a certain order: "title" first, "location" second, "username" third, "password" fourth, and the "notes" fifth. Any further fields will be added to 1Password as custom fields.

I hope this helps :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

In addition to the CSV input fields/order that @Megan mentioned for importing Login items, this guide also has them for importing Credit Card, Software, and Secure Note items:

How can I import data from another application?

This discussion has been closed.