2 Vaults - 1 Mac - 2 Dropboxes

Options
opafritz
opafritz
Community Member

Hello!

I am very sorry if this is a stupid question. I saw that there was an update regarding multiple vaults, but I'm not quite sure, if this improves our situation.

Our Setup:

We have one Mac at home that we both use. We do have two users set up at the Mac, but for convenience we usually just use my account and switch the Chrome users for browsing. On my Mac account we have two vaults, one for me and one for my girlfriend. The primary account (mine) is synced to my Dropbox, which then syncs 1PW to my iPhone.

If my gf adds/changes a login in her secondary vault, she always has to remember to export this login. The she would have to log out of my user and login to her user account. Her user's 1PW is synced to her Dropbox and then to her iPhone. She then has to import the previously exported item, so that it gets synced.

I am very sorry for the poor English, this is quite difficult for me to explain. Hopefully everybody understands how our "workflow" is at this time. Are we doing something horribly wrong or is there (now) a much easier way for us to manage 1PW?

Thank you very much for your help!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @opafritz‌

Thanks for taking the time to write in! Your English is quite good - no need to apologize. It does sound like you have a bit of a complicated set-up going on there.

We can simplify things for you here by sharing a folder between your Dropbox account and her Dropbox account. Then we'll store her 1Password.agilekeychain file inside this shared folder so that it can be accessed by both her account and your account.

Let's try this:

• Confirm that her vault on her user account has ALL her data

• On her iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac in her account, open 1Password 4 for Mac to her vault, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• On your user account, use File > Backup to backup your database (which will include her secondary vault)

• While viewing her vault, use 1Password > Delete Vault to delete her vault

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check her Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• Log in to her Dropbox account and create a new folder "Her_1Password" (or something more creative!) Share this folder with your Dropbox account.

• On the Mac in her account, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and the "Her_1Password" folder. This will regenerate a new 1Password.agilekeychain file inside the shared folder.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• On your user account, open a Finder window to Dropbox.

• Double click on the 1Password.agilekeychain inside the "Her_1Password" folder to open her vault as a secondary vault

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync.

This should get you all sorted out! I know there are a lot of steps there, so if you have any questions, please let me know!

• opafritz
    opafritz
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thank you for this guide, I will try it this weekend or some time next week and report back to you.

I'm curious, was this solution always possible or is this new? Because when I got started with 1PW, I remember to have read that it's not recommended to have 2 vaults in 1 Dropbox because of syncing issues, that's why I never tried it. Would have been the easiest solution :) Or am I mixing something up?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @opafritz‌

You're remembering correctly here. We introduced the multiple vault feature first on Mac, and when we did, we included a note in our Known Issues to warn users against syncing multiple vaults via Dropbox if they used the iOS app as well.

With the release of version 4.5 for iOS, multiple vaults are finally supported on iOS, which means you can store multiple vaults in Dropbox without fear of merged databases. :)

This discussion has been closed.