Incomplete Sync Maybe

No Inside Data
Well I'm new to this family, and moved over from Roboform / Goodsync where I spent several years at. Well I'm assuming both the iPhone Pro app & the desktop application must have the same Master Password. With that said, all of my different types of files are syncing over to the iPhone 4, but when I open things like Notes, Logins, Wallet theres no data / information in them. So in other words all I see is the different file names for each categories. What seems to be my problem here?

Thanking you in advance

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi ConsoleGam3r,

Welcome to the forums! :-)

The Master Password does not have to be the same between 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS. Many users like to have a less-complicated one for 1Password touch because of the interaction using the much smaller virtual keyboard. Because they do not have to be the same, they are never synced from one device/platform to another.

What method of syncing are you using? Wi-Fi or Dropbox?
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    Slightly off topic,

Food for thought.

Way back in the early alpha v3 days

We had questions about syncing the keychain passwords. What the consensus was then was place both keychain passwords in a secure note for example. Then if you dont remember the phone version look it up on the desktop and vise versa. just a safety net. wink.gif
  • ConsoleGam3r
    edited September 2010
    khad wrote:

Hi ConsoleGam3r,

Welcome to the forums! :-)

The Master Password does not have to be the same between 1Password for Mac and 1Password for iOS. Many users like to have a less-complicated one for 1Password touch because of the interaction using the much smaller virtual keyboard. Because they do not have to be the same, they are never synced from one device/platform to another.

What method of syncing are you using? Wi-Fi or Dropbox?

I'm using WiFi sync. I paid big money for the 1Password app and wanna start gaining some use.

UPDATE: I can see data (information) inside of the files in Software categories, but no where else. Just to make sure I'm reading what you said up top > are you saying I will never be able to sync data from MacBook Pro to iPhone 4 and vice versa? > your last sentence
  • jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

Just to make sure I'm reading what you said up top > are you saying I will never be able to sync data from MacBook Pro to iPhone 4 and vice versa?

Quite the opposite. Syncing 1Password data between between a Mac and iPhone should be a breeze.

But as Tommy said, the master password on your iPhone does not have to be the same as the master password on your Macbook Pro. The one I use on my Mac would be a real pain to type on my iPhone.

We do need to figure out why syncing isn't working for you. Could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? This will help us track down the issue more quickly. You can generate the report from 1Password on your Mac by clicking the Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report... menu item and then emailing the generated report to [email protected]

Please put a link in your email referring back to this discussion so that we can connect the dots.

There are a few things that we specifically don't sync to iOS. These are Identities (since there is no way to make use of these on iOS) and file attachments.We are looking at ways to sync attachments without presenting users with nasty surprises about their monthly data use on their phones.

But what you have experienced isn't normal behavior, and we want to get this fixed for you quickly so that you can fully benefit from the combination of 1Password on your iPhone and on your Mac.

Cheers,

-j
  • jpgoldberg wrote:

Quite the opposite. Syncing 1Password data between between a Mac and iPhone should be a breeze.

But as Tommy said, the master password on your iPhone does not have to be the same as the master password on your Macbook Pro. The one I use on my Mac would be a real pain to type on my iPhone.

We do need to figure out why syncing isn't working for you. Could you please email us your Diagnostics Report? This will help us track down the issue more quickly. You can generate the report from 1Password on your Mac by clicking the Help > Troubleshooting > Diagnostics Report... menu item and then emailing the generated report to [email protected]

Please put a link in your email referring back to this discussion so that we can connect the dots.

There are a few things that we specifically don't sync to iOS. These are Identities (since there is no way to make use of these on iOS) and file attachments.We are looking at ways to sync attachments without presenting users with nasty surprises about their monthly data use on their phones.

But what you have experienced isn't normal behavior, and we want to get this fixed for you quickly so that you can fully benefit from the combination of 1Password on your iPhone and on your Mac.

Cheers,

-j

UPDATE:

Thanks for the feedback and I would have loved to send you some information related to my problem, but I've moved into another direction. After a few quick email conversations with 1Password Support over the span of two days, I did some reading and reinstalled the app & sync via my DropBox. I was already Dropbox user & a lot of what I was expecting as a user seemed to be in the Dropbox sync options. Everything is working great
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the update, ConsoleGam3r.

I'm glad to hear everything is working well now. That's great news!

I can't imagine going back to Wi-Fi syncing after using Dropbox. I don't think you will be disappointed. :-)

Cheers!
This discussion has been closed.