Sync data file between Macs with Dropbox

(was: Sync database between computers)
Hi,

I can sync my 1Password database between my iMac and my iPod touch over WLAN.
This works very fine.

Why can I not use WLAN to sync the 1Password database between two or more computers in my home network?
I missing this feature in 1Password.

Greetings,
Bernd

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi Bernd,

Thanks for asking!

We offer syncing via Dropbox that works as well on your local network as it does across the Internet! You can keep a nearly limitless number of Macs, PCs, and other mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, Android) in sync with this method. The short version is, you simply need to move your Dropbox data file to your Dropbox folder. For more information and thorough instructions, please see our guide to Syncing Your Data Using Dropbox.

To set up your iPod touch, check out our Dropbox syncing guide for iPhone and iPod touch.

I can't imagine going back to Wi-Fi syncing after using Dropbox. It's completely automatic and does not require me to be near my computer(s) to keep my mobile devices in sync.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. :-)

Cheers!
  • luke1970
    luke1970
    Community Member
    Hello,

Hm, I don't use Dropbox. Wi-Fi syncing between iPod touch and Mac works fine here and I see no reason to install an extra software for syncing in my home network.
    Therefore was Wi-Fi syncing between computers useful. :-)

Greetings,
    Bernd
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    At this time, 1Password does not support Wi-Fi syncing between Mac and/or Windows computers. Dropbox is our universal sync solution. Many people do not know that Dropbox actually supports Local LAN Syncing which sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

Please let me know if you run into any problems getting it set up!
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    khad wrote:

At this time, 1Password does not support Wi-Fi syncing between Mac and/or Windows computers. Dropbox is our universal sync solution. Many people do not know that Dropbox actually supports Local LAN Syncing which sounds like exactly what you are looking for.

Please let me know if you run into any problems getting it set up!

Also a lot of us who run the Dropbox beta software really consider this beta series .8.107 at writing to be pretty darn stable and alot of us use it for everyday usage. The reason I mention this is the .8 branch has had some major reworks in its LAN syncing, Mac Memory usage, Mac Download size, as well as too many countless other things to name. Oh yes Mac extended attributes.

Most of Dropbox forum folk, running the betas are suggesting it to a lot of people who may have issues with the .7 series, specifically memory usage etc.

Give the forum version a look if your interested Again most of DB's forum folk feel it may be a stable build really soon.

PS if you are a user of Dropbox and reading this, please note that if you upgrade from the .7 branch to the .8 branch, you will have a long reindex session where dropbox grabs all the extended attributes of your files. Dont be surprised with a long sessison or a high memory usage while this is occuring.

As always a backup of your data is recommended not just because of the software but you need one anyway in case of fire theft etc. Please make one before trying the new software, etc. You can search for Mozy, iDrive, Carbonite, Crashplan, Backblaze. Personally I use and recommend Crashplan. Even if you dont need it now enjoy the peace of mind with having all your data backed up at a remote location.

Also as a side note I have been running the betas since the .8 branch began and have never had a problem,

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2010
    Just to be clear, Tommy, the current stable release of Dropbox supports LAN Sync just fine. :-)

(For those of us who do not like to live on the edge.)
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    khad wrote:

Just to be clear, Tommy, the current stable release of Dropbox supports LAN Sync just fine. :-)

(For those of us who do not like to live on the edge.)

touche

It will be normal usage soon enough

But

Specifically this is the key point.
    thightower wrote:
    the .8 branch has had some major reworks in its LAN syncing,

its much better now.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm holding out since I don't really use the LAN Sync much. :-P

I got burned on betas back in my Windows days. Haha! Still recovering.

The only betas I use now are from Agile.
  • docalex
    docalex
    Community Member
    edited September 2010
    Hello all,

Dropbox version 0.8, at tested build 107, is pretty darn stable, and is expected to "go stable" (meaning supplant 0.7.110 as the default Dropbox) very soon.

And, 0.7 and 0.8 get along just fine when it comes to 1Password, or Shared Folders, and every other feature of Dropbox. So feel free to install 0.8 on just one of your Dropbox linked computers to test it. No problem.

EXCEPT for LANsync.

LANsync is a Dropbox feature introduced in version 0.7 which allows direct updating of Dropbox-linked computers over the same IP LAN, if that is available, which is much faster than downloading via your ISP, generally. The only feature that is not compatible between version 0.7 and 0.8 is LANsync - because it was improved/changed so much in 0.8.

Most of us regulars on the Dropbox Forum, including your own Tommy Hightower (who helps out on the Dropbox Forums too,) feel that Dropbox version 0.8 is simply a better Dropbox. Features/enhancements in version 0.8 - http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=17226

Download Dropbox version 0.8 from the Latest Forum Build sticky post on Dropbox Forums main page - http://forums.dropbox.com/

..alex...

PS - just browsing through the 1PW forums tonight and I am amazed at how responsive your devs are, how quick they come up with patches and fixes. Dropbox and 1Password - two beautiful dev/user communities. :-)
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2010
    Thank you for the kind words, Alex! I can't wait for Dropbox .8 to go stable. I know I am super conservative. I believe you and Tommy both, but it's almost a religious argument at this point. Haha!

Part of it is not encouraging users we need to support to use beta versions of Dropbox. A slippery slope. :-)

Seriously, though. I have heard very good things. I'm looking forward to the big unveiling!
  • docalex
    docalex
    Community Member
    Well, I think that is a good policy, khad.

When 0.8 goes stable, 0.9.1 comes out as the new beta, and that will be rough and tumble for a while, and most 1Password users will NOT want to be running DB beta then. Tommy and I *are* jumping the gun only because 0.8 is so long in the tooth. But for all the new fun features and under the hood memory improvements, Dropbox 0.7.110 is rock solid, and its limitations are well known and workarounds exist for the adventurous.

So do stick with 0.7.110 unless you simply can't function without selective sync to filter out folders for your laptop's small drive, or simply must be able to sync Mac xattr's and resource forks - stuff only 0.8 can do. Dropbox devs refuse to ever give any ETAs anymore, frankly because we tortured them on the Forums when they missed their deadlines. (see video link below.) But with only one feature to nail down in 0.8 (adding selective sync to the introductory 'tour' (installation) so that it can more easily be invoked when installing DB on a new computer) many of us DB forum denizens feel it is a matter of months. On the other hand, Dropbox devs are perfectionists and cannot be pushed, so who knows?

I apologize for my over-enthusiasm. The focus here is on Dropbox as a cog, albeit a cool and important cog, in making 1Password smooth as silk. 1Password users shouldn't have to know or care much about Dropbox. And 1PW's integration with Dropbox is unsurpassed - it's so automatic it is almost scary (I vaguely remember looking around for how to configure DB for 1PW after some major 1PW upgrade... till I realized it had all been done for me!)

While we all wait, and wait, for an even cooler Dropbox, I leave you with this humorous take on Dropbox's history of missing feature deadlines. Many of you have probably seen it, for the rest of you I hope it is an enjoyable treat. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6087566/dropbox_downfall.wmv
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    "Those of you who have not signed up for Dropbox Pro, leave the room."

Classic. :-)
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    docalex wrote:

I apologize for my over-enthusiasm.

I think thats just our nature alex, I become that way over DB at times so....I had forgotten about that video it still cracks me up glad you dug it up, I forgot I added it into itunes now I can put it back in my DB and my shareable links ;)

Thats also the exact reason we no longer give release dates around here.

khad

Glad you liked the video
This discussion has been closed.