Multiple vaults on Mac and only syncing one (not primary) to iOS?

Options
Envirogreen
Envirogreen
Community Member

On my mac I have the primary vault with everything including personal items, and created a sync value that are items that I want to share to multiple other devices (mostly logins).

Setup Dropbox for syncing.

In iOS I have download 1password and when asked if I'm a new or existing user. Chose existing, chose dropbox for sync method. It searches for the vault....in the background I see it finds my synced vault, but then get an error that no vault can be found and password for iOS crashes.

What am I missing?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Envirogreen‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting things synced up here. It sounds to me like you're hoping to sync a secondary vault to iOS as your primary (only) vault. Is that correct?

Currently 1Password is designed to search for your "1Password.agilekeychain", your primary vault, on initial set-up. It is unable to find secondary vaults (or primary vaults with a custom name.) If you want to use only your secondary vault on your iOS device, you'll have to set up 1Password as a new user and create a new vault. Then you can add your secondary vault.

I apologize for the inconvenience here, our developers are looking into ways to make this more flexible in the future. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

• Envirogreen
    Envirogreen
    Community Member
    Options

Yes that is correct.

I've done that - now the issue is that you can't set the secondary vault to automatically come up.

What would be good is:

• be able to set secondary as default
    • option to sync secondary to primary/master (reason for this is that on my main computer I would like to only use my primary vault for all items, but because I need to create a secondary vault to sync a subsection of the primary - these get out of sync)

• Another option would have been to give the option in primary to only sync/not sun with default to sync.

Right now this looks like a very first step in getting to where it needs to go, but at least a start.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @Envirogreen‌,

Thanks for the feedback about multiple vaults! We do hope to further improve them in the future. :)

• Envirogreen
    Envirogreen
    Community Member
    Options

So the more I use this approach - the more untenable its proving to be. I end up adding new logins to the secondary which then aren't synced back to my primary - which means my approach outlined above doesn't work.

looks like i'm going to remove the secondary vault till this better aligns to my use case - I have to assume many users have private info in 1password that they don't want to share/sync across dropbox/icloud/etc but need an easy option, and also they may want the private info on the personal computer (like me) but not family computers or iPhones/ipads

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Envirogreen‌

It does sound like you have a bit of a complicated set-up there. Because items can't stay in sync between vaults (due to the way that vaults are encrypted), you will need to do some manual updating in any case if your primary vault holds all items and your secondary vault holds a subset of these items. In general, we recommend that items live in one vault or the other. It just keeps things simpler. :)

I can tell you that our developers are listening to how people are using multiple vaults when trying to design new facets of this feature. One option that we are considering is allowing an 'All Items' view that would allow you to see at a glance your entire database, no matter which vault an item is in. This should help to simplify your set-up, so I've added a vote for you in the feature request in our internal tracker.

As @JasperP says above, we have a lot more good stuff for multiple vaults coming - your feedback here is much appreciated!

This discussion has been closed.