Getting my passwords from another computer

Options
groovyb
groovyb
Community Member

I wanted to know how I can get certain passwords if I am using a friend's computer or the library for example. Like, how I would be able to access my long crazy email password that I would never remember? Is there a place online that stores the passwords or something?

Thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @groovyb,

Take a look at 1PasswordAnywhere. If your data is stored in Dropbox you can access it just about anywhere using a web-browser!

• askewchan
    askewchan
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

@Megan‌, That appears to be an instruction set for 1Password 3. Does this work with 1Password 4?

I upgraded from 3 to 4 a few days ago, and the 1Password.html file inside of the 1Password.agilekeychain directory hasn't updated since then, and when I try to load it I get:

This looks like the problem that often happens when trying to load the file locally, but this is the version stored on the dropbox servers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @askewchan‌

You're right, the instructions were written in the time of 1Password 3. However, as 1PasswordAnywhere hasn't yet been updated to 1Password 4, the same steps should work for you.

If you are having trouble accessing 1PasswordAnywhere, we'll need to recreate your 1Password.agilekeychain file in Dropbox to ensure that everything is correct in there. To do so, we'll reset sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service and choose 'Disable Sync’.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Restart the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

• askewchan
    askewchan
    Community Member
    edited May 2014
    Options

Thanks, @Megan! Unfortunately, I went through all those steps, and the new copy of 1Password.agilekeychain has the same old version of 1Password.html (last modified 5/5/2014) as it did before disabling sync with the remove-from-dropbox option selected, and the same error comes up with I open it (from dropbox.com). Is it safe to delete the html file and have it be regenerated?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @askewchan‌

That is strange! I'm assuming you followed the step of deleting all extra 1Password.agilekeychains. Let's take a closer look at your system here. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• askewchan
    askewchan
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan, I only deleted the keychains from my dropbox but nothing from my local drive. Was I supposed to delete something from my local drive? I can't find any local agilekeychain files, and wouldn't want to delete them anyway! Although maybe 1Password 4 only stores the data in the OnePassword.sqlite database now, and the 1Password.agilekeychain is now just used for syncing purposes?

Working on the diagnostic now. Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We've received your report @askewchan - thanks for sending that in. Our support team will be replying to you directly in email with more help resolving this problem!

Although maybe 1Password 4 only stores the data in the OnePassword.sqlite database now, and the 1Password.agilekeychain is now just used for syncing purposes?

That's essentially correct. The complete 1Password 4 database is stored in the SQLite database (plus larger attachments as external files), while each vault in that database can optionally and separately sync with Dropbox, etc.

• askewchan
    askewchan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @sjk, I eventually solved it on my own. I was a little embarrassed to realize that it worked on Chrome and Safari, so it must be a Firefox issue. It turns out that if you have HTTP referers disabled, then 1PasswordAnywhere will fail.

In case anybody else has seen this error: To fix this in Firefox, type about:config into the address bar, then search for this setting:

network.http.sendRefererHeader

If the setting is 0 or 1, you're blocking (all if 0, some if 1) HTTP Referer headers. To fix it set it to 2 by Double clicking (or right-clicking and selecting "Modify") on the line, and changing the value to 2.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @askewchan‌

On behalf of @sjk, I'm so glad to hear that you managed to get things sorted out! Thanks so much for including your fix steps here - that's really helpful.

If you run into any further snags, don't hesitate to ask - we're here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.