Upgrading to Mavericks

Options
hschaars
hschaars
Community Member

I am running a Mac 10.6.8 right now and 1Password Version 3.8.21 (build 32009). I will be upgrading my computer to Mac 10.9 Mavericks. How would I download and install !Password 4? Should I uninstall the 3.8.21and if I do unstall the 3.8.21 will I lose all my information?

Helen

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Helen ( @hschaars ),

If you haven't already purchased a license for 1Password 4, simply enter your license information on our upgrade page to see your available discount on our 1Password 4 licenses.

1Password 4 can be downloaded from the downloads page.

You do not need to uninstall 1Password 3 before installing 1Password 4. When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, it should recognize your existing datafile and offer to import it for you. Read more in our Setting Up 1Password Guide.

If you have any further questions, please let me know, I'd be happy to help!

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    Options

I'm in big trouble. My tech friend started installing Mavericks, but my drive failed and I lost everything. I'm now in the process of getting a new drive. I did find my License key. Will I have to re-enter all my information? How much will the upgrade be. I only need one license.

Helen

• Meek
    Options

Hi Helen,

Oh dear! I'm sorry to hear about that - failed drives are never fun to deal with :(

Did you by any chance sync your 1Password data to Dropbox, or have any other backups of your drive?

Regarding the upgrade price, just enter your license key on our upgrade page here to see the options:

https://agilebits.com/store/upgrade

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    Options

No, I didn't sync anything. I guess I should do that when I get my computer back. How would I do that?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Helen ( @hschaars ),

If the only copy of your 1Password data was on the drive that failed the only hope of recovery would be if it was still possible to somehow salvage it from there. Web searches for data recovery, drive recovery, etc. will reveal loads of information, including plenty of services that exist to attempt it (which can be quite pricey, more than the cost of the entire computer). It really makes me sad to be the barer of that unfortunate news.

The 1Password 4 sync page has an overview of the types of syncing you can do with 1Password 4. However, even when syncing 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud, it is strongly recommended to do some other type(s) of backup(s) of all your data (not only 1Password's) that you really can't afford to lose. Mac users often use Time Machine for backups. And there are services like Crashplan.

Please let us know if you'd like more help with this or anything else.

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    Options

I did print out my password information before the dreaded crash. So I'll just have to re-enter everything. I guess I have my work cut out for me.This way I can remove passwords I don't use anymore. I have a backup drive where I have been backing up data for my other programs.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm so glad to hear that you do have a printout of your password info, Helen. Even if the data entry can be tedious it's surely better than a total loss.

When you have a moment please check your private messages Inbox. Thanks! :)

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    Options

My tech friend was able to retrieve some programs. He did retrieve the old version of 1Password. Should I uninstall the old version or install the new version over the old?

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    Options

I downloaded and paid for 1Password 4. I'm a little confused. Since my tech friend was able to retrieve most of my data from my old drive, where would I find the file for my passwords. I would like to transfer them to my new drive.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I believe you want to look for a folder called 1Password which will be in ~/Library/Application Support/ Copy that folder across and the new 1Password 4 should pick it up.

• Jasper
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @hschaars,

Your data should be stored in the 1Password.agilekeychain file located at: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

If that file is on your new drive, you will be able to open it when you setup 1Password 4.

If you're having trouble locating the 1Password.agilekeychain file, please email us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this discussion, to: support+forum@agilebits.com

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    Options

I can't find the anything on the backup file. I guess I'll have to create a new vault. How would I do that? I would like to use the same password for the vault.

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    Options

I have another question. I hope I'm not being a pest with all these questions but I need to get my 1Password up and running before I go nuts. Where can I find my license number? I want to print it out and put it in a safe place.

• buggypac
    buggypac
    Community Member
    Options

@hschaars The ~ symbol means "/Users/yourname", so did you look for "/Users/yourname/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain" to see if your old database was recovered? If it's not there, then I am glad you have a printout. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hschaars,

Have you been able to recover the 1Password.agilekeychain with 1Password data from your old drive? We can help you more with that through email, like @JasperP suggested in post #12.

Your license information was emailed to you after purchasing the 1Password 4 license. I sent you a private message referring to this guide with instructions for adding your license:

How do I add my license to 1Password 4?

I've also remailed you the 1Password license information. I hope that helps. :)

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    Options

I couldn't find it anywhere. Do I have to create a new vault. How would I do this?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hschaars,

I'm sorry your old 1Password data is still missing. To move on without it, installing 1Password 4 is the next step (unless you've already done that):

Installing 1Password 4 for Mac

Then go through the I’m new to 1Password setup for creating a new vault, etc.:

Setting Up 1Password 4 for Mac

After that you can add the license, but 1Password will run unlimited for 30 days without one so there's no rush.

And your old 1Password data can still be added later if you are able to find it.

We are here to help if you run into any further snags - don't hesitate to ask :)

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    Options

I am having a lot of problems entering data. All the password entries do not work. What am I doing wrong?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hschaars,

Let's figure out where you're getting stuck and how to fix it. How have you been entering your data into 1Password and is the 1Password extension installed for the web browser you're using?

The Getting your information into 1Password section of this guide has instructions for doing that:

1Password 4 Basics

You can also manually save new Login items this way:

Saving a new Login manually

Here's the guide for changing passwords:

Updating your site's password

And Joe Kissell's Take Control of 1Password ebook can be a handy resource for 1Password usage.

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    Options

I didn't install the extension. Once I did install it, everything appears to be working OK. Thanks for your help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's awesome, @hschaars. It's nice to know the extension installation was the nudge 1Password needed to work for you! :)

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    Options

Now that I have entered most of my passwords, how would I back them up. I don't want to lose them again. :-S

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @hschaars‌

I completely understand not wanting to lose all your passwords! Don't worry, 1Password will automatically perform backups once a day, when it notices that your database has changed. If you'd like to perform a backup manually, simply go to File > Backup. :)

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2014
    Options

Hi @hschaars,

In addition to automatic backups of your 1Password data that @Megan mentioned, you can also configure syncing of it and do other backups of your Mac. From post #6:

The 1Password 4 sync page has an overview of the types of syncing you can do with 1Password 4. However, even when syncing 1Password data with Dropbox or iCloud, it is strongly recommended to do some other type(s) of backup(s) of all your data (not only 1Password's) that you really can't afford to lose. Mac users often use Time Machine for backups. And there are services like Crashplan.

Your important data deserves to be stored somewhere else besides only on your Mac so you have a copy to restore in case of another drive or other failure.

• hschaars
    hschaars
    Community Member
    Options

What if I wanted to backup to an external drive. Could that be done and how?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi hschaars,

Time Machine can be used to back up your Mac to an external drive. It's one method mentioned on this Apple page:

Backing up your Mac hard drive

Their forum is a helpful support resource for Apple-related products and issues:

Apple Support Communities

There are more backup options to choose from, with good support for them, than we can cover here. :)

This discussion has been closed.