1browser question about tabs closing

Options
Fairgame
Fairgame
Community Member
edited April 2014 in iOS

Hi,
I use 1P4 1browser on my iPad a lot, currently set to pretend to be Safari (Mac). It works great for most everything I do.
My question is about behavior of the browser when the 1P4 app is closed.
Sometime after login the tabs are open where I left them and sometime all tabs are closed. I'm not sure what creates one vs. the other.

Here is my scenario to explain my point better:

I read some article last night and did not finish it. After I opened the app this morning, the article was where I left it. I copied a link and opened it in YouTube. When I came back to the article, the tab was closed (I needed Master Password to open 1P4, Quick unlock code was not available). Because I got to the article by browsing I have no idea how to find it again and do not see any history in 1browser.

The lost article is not a big deal, but I noticed different behavior of 1browser and would like to know the reason behind it.
Thanks

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @Fairgame,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with 1Browser right now. Currently, 1Browser does not save browser history or remember tabs after it has been closed. I can see how this is potentially annoying (I'm the type of user who always has about 17! different tabs open on every device!), but please understand that this is actually done for security reasons: we don't want to store your browser details in an unsafe manner. Our developers are looking into ways to save your browser history in a secure manner so that 1Browser can remember your tabs and not lose that article on you.

For now though, when 1Password quits (and the iOS will sometimes quit apps that are in the background to reclaim memory for active apps) 1Browser will be cleared.

I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer for you here, but I hope this helps to explain the situation. Please let me know if you have any further questions. :)

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi,
    Thanks for the answer. However, closing the tabs is not an issue.
    My question is why sometime the tabs stay open (overnight, with a new full password login) and then on next login to 1P4 all tabs close?

Why the difference?

• Fairgame
    Fairgame
    Community Member
    Options

I think the difference is how I close the 1P4.

If I just turn off my iPad, the app stays opened in the background. I still have to log in with Master password the next day. If I switch to another app, while 1P4 is opened in the background, the tabs stay open.

If I close the app regardles of turning the iPad off or not, the tabs are closed.

I'm happy with this, unless you see any security issues.
    Regards

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Fairgame,

I'm glad you have it figured out! Closing the app will re-set the browser history and close your tabs. There's no security issue that I can see.

Thanks for following up here - please let us know if you have any further questions!

• giantmike13
    giantmike13
    Community Member
    Options

I just wanted to comment on this one. I too have this often happen, normally because iOS is closing 1Password as a background app. It really sucks! I often leave tabs open to continue reading where I left off. If the tab closes on me, I may never find what I was reading.

I'm a bit curious why this data is so important to secure. It's not like the currently open tabs or the browser history contain any data like passwords or credit card numbers. It's pretty innocuous.

FYI, I also found a good read on securing data in iOS: http://chariotsolutions.com/blog/post/securing-data-in-ios-2/

By the way, this is my #1 gripe with the build in browser.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @giantmike13‌

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts here. I'm a multiple-tabs-open-all-the-time kinda girl, so I completely understand where you're coming from.

I'm a bit curious why this data is so important to secure. It's not like the currently open tabs or the browser history contain any data like passwords or credit card numbers. It's pretty innocuous.

You're right, URLs aren't quite as personal as passwords and credit card information, but many users do not wish to disclose even this information to an outside viewer. As a security company, we often have to walk a fine line between convenience and security. :) It's not an easy balance to strike some days!

In any case, I'm happy to pass your thoughts along to our developers.

This discussion has been closed.